TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways i was having really bad corrosion issues on my negative battery terminal on my truck..to the point where the truck wouldn't start..so i got a new battery terminal and cleaned the battery post..

I heard that putting a penny on the battery post would prevent my terminal from corroding so i gave it a shot..i drilled a small hole in the center of the battery post and placed a penny on the top of the post with a small screw in the middle holding it down,and believe it or not it's actually working..

The penny is taking all the corrossion..my post and terminal are still clean..so in case anybody ever wondered if that trick works..well..there's your answer!

Rayo..

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The technical term is sacrificial anode, and in this case it is only a short term fix. You have issues with your ground wires that need attention.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Did you drill a hole in the penny? I think that may technically be illegal because that's defacing government property. Try just a piece of copper. Actually, it's probably the zinc in the penny that is taking to corrosion.

·
Registered
492 Posts
People have been smashing pennys on RR tracks for ever! Plus think of all the penny's that kids have swallowed that never came out the other end.

I find it unlikely that the government is going to knock on his door.

·
Banned
754 Posts
when I was at the autoshow in Detroit in 2005 they had a machine there that you dropped a penny into, turned a handle and it flattened the penny and stamped other stuff on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Did you drill a hole in the penny? I think that may technically be illegal because that's defacing government property. Try just a piece of copper. Actually, it's probably the zinc in the penny that is taking to corrosion.
+1 informative!

If you check the galvanic series here:

http://corrosion-doctors.org/Definitions/galvanic-series.htm

You see that zinc is much further away than copper is from steel or lead.

The real issue is of course the salt water that ends up coating the battery with a conductive film...

Wash the outside of the battery every few days with clean water in the winter, and this won't happen at all.

Better yet, a liberal coating of lithium grease will prevent that for a long time, without washing. Of course, I'm in TN, and we don't use a lot of salt down here... :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
when I was at the autoshow in Detroit in 2005 they had a machine there that you dropped a penny into, turned a handle and it flattened the penny and stamped other stuff on it.
I learned that this is legal because it's considered a form of art and is not actually defacing the currency...none of our money is worth jack anymore anyway so who really cares? Haha!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Grog I dont think saltwater has anything to do with the battery terminal corroding, or if it does it isnt the only possible cause. My Eclipse has a real bad problem with the terminals corroding. I even clean the post and terminals with corrosion cleaner. It only helps for a couple weeks. (Although I think I fixed it now by replacing the factory terminals.) But anyway it isnt winter anymore and there hasnt been any salt on the roads in like 5 months.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
My Eclipse has a real bad problem with the terminals corroding. I even clean the post and terminals with corrosion cleaner.
If you have very heavy loads on a relatively small battery, like a few amplifiers on a stock battery/alternator, the battery will charge/discharge a lot, and it ends up outgassing acid, which is not good for it. (or your car)

I had that problem in my Subaru years ago, until I put a 120A alternator and 1000A (CCA)battery in it. My system would boil the stock battery in about 10 minutes... :)

It doesn't take much to put a corrosive film over a battery; there is H2 gas as well as OH radicals that vent normally from most batteries. Rain is slightly conductive these days as well, unfortunately.

Try rinsing the battery with the hose every other day for two weeks and see if it makes a difference in the corrosion.

Or just use the white lithium grease spray; it's a lot easier. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Two things from yesterday's tree shade mechanic... We put a penny on top years ago to help keep it clean. ( just pushed it on there ) it will stay, but then again the old batteries had a softer tops. Heard, it' is a poor ground problem, but the best thing to do is have the battery tested, or in 3 - 5 months you'll be getting a new one.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know..I thought it might be a ground problem too..So i added a 4 gauge wire from the battery to the frame of my truck..and it didn't help any..This was just a short term fix for me until i can get another battery for my truck..It's a Motorcraft,but probably as old as the truck..but it's a really good battery..

Yes i drilled a hole in the middle of a penny and set it on top of the post..i figure at a penny a pop I'm saving money either way you look at it until i can get a better battery..and i did have the battery tested at AutoZone and of course they said i have a bad battery..but my truck always starts right up and the battery always takes a full charge and holds at least 85%..at 12.5 volts..

I figured this post might be informative for some of you..

Rayo..

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I think that you have a current leak that's promoting the corrosion. Have any hacked up wiring on this F-150? Owner-installed lights, trailer brake controller, stereo equipment, etc?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I got a question for you electronic gurus. It isn't the negative (ground) post that I'm having problem with, it is the POSITIVE Post! I cleaned the post, the clamp, spayed the bolt and nut on the clamp with PB Blaster, and added 2 felt rings. The only thing is that I replaced the Ford clamp with a generic clamp from Advance on the negative side quite awhile back.

Why is my positive post and clamp the one gunking up?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I use the felt rings under neath, and clean the post and clamp well with a brush, and after putting together, spray it with that red battery terminal protectant paint stuff from NAPA.

Works well for me.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing not stock running to the battery is my power cable for my amp but that's on the positive side of the battery..Not having problems like I am on the negative side..anyway..the penny is turning more and more green everyday..

I'm thinking it will be about another couple weeks before I put another penny in it's place,and while I'm at it a buddy of mine gave me some of those felt rings I'll be putting on also..along with cleaning everything,and possibly trying the red stuff CrystalPistol is talking about..Thanks

Rayo..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts