TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering two things. One is where can i find performance camshafts for a 1994 thunderbird, and will any 4.6L camshaft fit the thunderbird. PLease help me out. Thanks alot :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
www.modulardepot.com

And not all cams will fit, you have an early non-PI motor, so some of the higher lift cams will cause piston to valve contact. There is a lot of good tech on that site in their forums about the subject.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
compcams.com go for the mild grind, i beleive its 262.

vtengine.com Stage 1 or 2.

Houston Performance does custom grinds.

modularperformance.com

or, for the economical route, get some 99+(PI) mustang cams.

remember, your valvesprings will be an issue...too high a lift will cause brake issues, since it is vacuum assisted. Also, aftermarket cams ARE NOT cheap, they will run about 500$..PI cams usually go for about 80-100$. I would get them, since you wont have to make many big changes to accomodate them.

joseph

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
remember joseph, he has F4 (pre-1996) heads, not F5 (96+) he cant use VTs because they have too much lift....the stage I's have 0.54/0.55....the Stage II's are even higher

same thing with PI cams....they have too much lift on the exhaust...0.530 if i'm not mistaken....JL posted a thread on this a while back

what i believe he said would work, is the low-lift (NPI) Comp Cams series w/Comp Cams springs, since these cams have only 0.5/0.5 lift, but thats still higher than stock NPI cams, so springs are recommended

Why you can't put PI cams in 94/95 heads

·
8,239 Posts
in other words the 94 motor needs to be yanked and something else put in its place. Since you have the motor out, you mine as well yank the trans out also.

Since the trans is out you mine as well put in a one piece driveshaft.

Since you are installing a one piece driveshaft, you mine as well rebuild the rear with 430 gears.

See where this is going?

The black hole of performance awaits you, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
JustinH said:
in other words the 94 motor needs to be yanked and something else put in its place. Since you have the motor out, you mine as well yank the trans out also.

Since the trans is out you mine as well put in a one piece driveshaft.

Since you are installing a one piece driveshaft, you mine as well rebuild the rear with 430 gears.

See where this is going?

The black hole of performance awaits you, lol.
You missed a critical link or 2 :)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
You can't go deep in debt if you can't get debt. You can't budget for the build if you don't have a budget. And you can't rob Peter to pay Paul if your all Petered out. I'm sorry for being sarcastic ( there goes my spelling again), It's just that there is so much that I read and here about. Like watching Dream Car Garage, or the worst, Two guys Garage ( remember when it was Shade tree machanic ). Yea, right. I just happen to have an oversized, sealed coated, heated and air conditioned garage with a lift, compressed air, generater, every tool I'll ever need and a complete automotive computerized diagnostic system. Money really does rule. Sorry! My point is, for alot of us just keeping it running and safe is hard. Then when we do have a little cash, we need the bang for the buck. And sometimes, even that is hard. If you can do it, go for it!
You may not get that chance again. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where could i find PI cams, just off of 1999+ Mustangs?? and what would be the difference in effects from the comcams to the PI cams in horsepower addon?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
tbirdrepresent said:
Where could i find PI cams, just off of 1999+ Mustangs?? and what would be the difference in effects from the comcams to the PI cams in horsepower addon?

Yes on the 99+ Mustangs.

They say you'll yeild about 10rwhp from PI Cams, over stock. Some have got 20-30 rwhp from the Comps.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
guitar maestro said:
its just too bad that he can't use PI cams, even if he does change the springs....to much lift on the exhaust side
sure you can, after a while there will be a nice valve-relief dent in the piston..problem solved! LOL

Go with 99+ PI heads and cams...You will LOVE the gains..trust me!

Shane

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Kodiak kid said:
sure you can, after a while there will be a nice valve-relief dent in the piston..problem solved! LOL
Shane
That's not the issue. The problem is that the cam will bind in the head.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Shane: Au contraire CG breath, I think even the old NPI's with a set of Comp 268 grinds are better, and the springs are great, but optional with that set up, plus he doesnt have to go thru the PITA manifold swap routine or have some probs with coolant leaks that are soooo common with a PI/NPI gasket mismatch, go figure, but thats just this old mans opinion :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts