TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone has posted this before, forgive me if someone has, but this borders on absurd...

Click Here

I was directed to this from a friend who cruises the Jeeps Unlimited boards.

Looks like a set of heavy gauge ground wires to me. Some post has links to dyno runs testing these wires on an Turbocharged Eclipse and Prelude.

All gains shown are "feels like", and "seems better".

Might we be able to say "Placebo"?

Sorry if I offend anyone with this...

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
its a joke right??? And people saying they want them is a joke too right??

·
Registered
817 Posts
umm no sorry it was actually dyno proven to get 4hp. i read some of the import mags my friend has and i started laughing at it too, i was like "wtf a dam wire can not give you 4hp" and then i read 2 more mags that had different dyno tests on different cars, all stock, and it made 3-4 hp out of it. i am not kidding. it just blew my mind. next time i see him ill get the mags and scan them and post it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
eh thats just the stupid ricers (95% of import owners) that make the other smart technically inclined ones look stupid. but who am i to say, i got stickers too, but i only have the stickers from stuff i actually have on the car, to scare others(K&N, FlowMaster, Street Glow, Kenwood, Kicker, Pioneer) into not racing me, so i dont have to lose. theyre on the drivers side window though, not all over the fenders and stuff.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Just because its in a magazine doesn't mean you should believe it. They are paying for their advertisments. If the mag makes their product look bad, they won't advertise anymore, and then thats less money in the Mag's pocket.

·
Registered
337 Posts
thats Stupid!!!! I can't believe ground wires can actually get you hp. I Used to work at a Toyota dealership and from what i recall that matrix has over 700 different sensors on the motor alone. So i guess a better ground gets more power to the sensors thus giving the ecu a better reading??????????? Hp from ground wires that is crazy!

-Derrick-

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The only way I can see it is REgaining lost hp. As sensor connections age and the wires get old, the EEC gets bad info and can't run the engine in top condition. Put in new grounds to fix the bad ones and the EEC gets more accurate control again.....thats all I can come up with.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
:bs: yes and when i put 22c's and 8.5mm plug wires on my old car i gained 50hp!.....ooo and when i put my head unit in....b/c theres a little less draw on the alternator b/c its more efficient i gained 1.567hp....................................

·
Registered
238 Posts
Some import cars come with a marginal ground system to begin with. 4 hp is dyno error hot and cold, yeah they forgot to publish the temp with that gain +-20 degrees

·
Registered
726 Posts
These guys should embrass even the worst ricers. Holy crap.
Holy, holy, holy crap. I, I....I can't....can't even....just....jeez! Just holy frickin crap.

·
Registered
817 Posts
wow are you all idiots? or just too stupid to believe that something that has been easily overlooked all the past years can actually do something. ok think of this. you have a sound system in your car. a 400 watt amp. the ground wire required for that amp is at least 8ga. now you plan to step it up. you buy a 1200 watt amp and now you need a 4ga wire. so lets put it different, your stock engine uses the ground wire and everythings all dandy, right? now i know that amps work more efficiently with a bigger ground. say that 400 watt amp with the 8ga wire, you put a 4ga and it will work more efficient. that doesnt mean it will sound any better or be luder, it will just not use that much power to do the same thing.just like putting better exhaust will free up hp. its the same concept. a better ground to the chassis let the engine ground itself more efficiently, now doesnt the spark travel across the electrode to the engine block, and then the engine grounds to the chassis? now wouldnt making a better ground from the engine to the chassis help conduct electricity better and thus help make the whole system more efficient.

now please, try not to think of this as a "Ricer" mod. im sure in a couple years it will be as common as K&N filters and spark plug wires. yeah how much hp do the spark plug wires get you? 4 if youre lucky, so why knock the ground wire mod? just cause its featured in an import mag and youre all domesticated. uh huh. nuff' said.

·
Registered
817 Posts
well some of it, but people also do things like msd ignition, 22c plugs and wires and say it has more hp too, so this is like the same thing. its what completes the circut, and prolly needed to be better to compliment the other things.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
22c plugs by themselves don't increase horsepower, they allow you to have a bit more spark advance which is where you derive the power. Any aftermarket ignition is more for wood factor than an actual performance gain. I'm not sure how air/fuel movement effects spark (IE does higher compression make it harder for the spark to jump?).. but from my understanding of electricity a spark will not jump from point A to point B with more energy than is required to do so. I'm not sure what the stock coil packs will put out... but I've read ( though there wasn't much to the claim other than "I heard") that stock coil packs (atleast on these cars) will handle upwards of 600 horsepower or more. You simply don't need the "hotter" MSD ignition unless you had a crappy ignition system to begin with.. in which case you're just regaining lost power from incomplete combustion/mis firing.

Somehow, I doubt the extra ground wires are doing anything except for making up for crappy grounds. By giving the electricity more ways to flow from ground to the circuit drawing a load you allow the electricity to select the best of those grounds. If the ground made by the wire is better than the ground already present in the system, then electricity will flow through that ground and things will appear to have improved, when they are just returning to what they should have been stock.

IMO, it's a waste fo 100+ bucks, just like most (If not all) CAI, K&N FIPK etc. It's a wood factor.. like Blue FRPP Wires.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Actually I have heard this to be true also.
Of course I would only think maybe 1-2 crank hp from it.
Not sure about having numberous grounds, but just replacing the factory ground and grounding it to the frame with the appropriate size is supposed to add 1 or 2 ponies. I think "free up" 1 or 2 ponies would be the correct way of putting it.

IMO its not worth the trouble or time, but to each his own.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ThomasR91169 said:
now please, try not to think of this as a "Ricer" mod. im sure in a couple years it will be as common as K&N filters and spark plug wires. yeah how much hp do the spark plug wires get you? 4 if youre lucky, so why knock the ground wire mod? just cause its featured in an import mag and youre all domesticated. uh huh. nuff' said.
motors are very adequately grounded from the factory, if a motor would need better grounds, it would probably have to be somo high power, incredibly high revving motor. Exactly what do K&N filters and plug wires and spark plugs do for a car? Not really anything. Getting "performance" wires & plugs will not increase performance moreso than just replacing plugs and wires with regular new ones. K&N filters are pretty much something that is more for convience than anything else, cause you dont have to buy a new paper filter then, so in the long run it can save you money. it will not increase performance. Most cold air intakes dont increase performance either, especially in birds which pretty much have a factory cold air intake. and anyway, most import mags (not to mention many domestic) are not very reputable, they are just ways of making money. and you cant trust any ad in any magazine, every single one will exaggerate their claims, think about it, they are just trying to make an extra buck and if they can make their product more appealing, they will do what they can to do so.

Originally posted by ThomasR91169
eh thats just the stupid ricers (95% of import owners) that make the other smart technically inclined ones look stupid.
there are many people who have imports and work on them and actually know what they are doing, and these are the people you will see spending more money on real performance parts than body accessories and things like that. and many people kinda ruin things for these people who should be getting the respect they deserve. same goes for many many domestic vehicle owners too.

Originally posted by ThomasR91169
but who am i to say, i got stickers too, but i only have the stickers from stuff i actually have on the car, to scare others(K&N, FlowMaster, Street Glow, Kenwood, Kicker, Pioneer) into not racing me
im sorry, since when have kenwood, kicker, and pioneer been associated with engine performance? and why scare people into not racing you? first off, you shouldnt be street racing anyways, its dangerous, and second, are you afraid to lose? and i highly doubt people will be scared to race you because of your stickers. a dyno graph or 1/4 time and speed are more effective. also, dont forget that your car barely runs 15s stock, while thats not bad, there is a lot of imports turning better stock for stock times out there.

im not saying there is anything wrong with having neons, a nice stereo, and other appearance mods or novelties, but those things do not equate to performance.

i know there are new ideas out there still that have yet to come about, but this is one where i wave :bs: to their claims. its just like removing the silencer, you *think* youre acelerating faster but its just in your head. even if there is any gain in better grounding your motor, it is not worth $100 and the time you put into doing it. -greg

·
Registered
488 Posts
.....ooo and when i put my head unit in....b/c theres a little less draw on the alternator b/c its more efficient i gained 1.567hp.................................... [/B][/QUOTE]
You did? Really?Man I gotta get to Best Buy. Just messin with ya:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts