TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm 16 with a 95 V8 bird. The engine (and car) has 168,000 miles on it. I'm thinking of swapping in a larger displacement engine at a later date, so I'm curious as to what kind of mods I can run that aren't engine specific. Maybe a 4.10 rear end and possible a higher-stall Torque converter? I know the Intake Silencer has got to go, and I might try and run a ghetto-rigged cold air setup.

Now, on the question of a bigger engine. In a year or so I'll probably have enough funds to drop in a larger engine. What would you recommend? I was thinking of not a big block, but something certainly bigger then the 281. At the least a 302, but hopefully a 347 or 351. The carbed version of those seem to make a lot of horsepower. But would it fit? Would it be worth it?

Thanx for all your guys' input.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
So why a bigger engine?
Bigger engine alone doesnt mean automaticly faster. You can get a 99+ mustang 4.6 engine for the same or less then some bigger engines and that is already around 50 more HP. The 5.0 might not be that much faster, it might even be slower, unless it was built up. If you do want a 351 or something then go for it. It hasnt been done much here if at all and would be a unique car.

If I was 16 the things I would start with would be:
-Chip. Get one from Dennis.
-Get rid of crapy intake (Richard M tube, Thats actually one of the first things I did).
-If you havent do a good tune up. New plugs, wires and anything else that might need new. Thats usually a good start and if the car runs rought sometimes it can be a fix too. At 16 though its cheap. For plugs if you do think of a chip wait for after the chip so you can just get the colder ones.

-Now those are speciffic to the engine. If at a later date you do decide to do a engine swap then the mods that can stay with the new engine would be more expensive; gears, torque converter, drive shaft, etc.

-Also "The tranny mod" is a good thing too. It's only about $100.

This is all just something to start with.

Happy modding,
-Shawn

·
Registered
26 Posts
NO you have to get a bigger engine. A 99 mustang engine will not cut it if you want real speed (which i know you do). Get a big carb engine if you want the real S#$%

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
BigBird101 said:
NO you have to get a bigger engine. A 99 mustang engine will not cut it if you want real speed (which i know you do). Get a big carb engine if you want the real S#$%
yes, brilliant idea.

throwacarbonuhdenshellburndatiyahsalldawayfruthirdgeaya

yessahbubigottabowadoutsmallblockinmuhtrailadatwillboltwighuptoyurthunderbirdthenshewillroastduhtiyahsyessah

welcome to the new millenium. not that carbed chevy motors dont haul, but this is probably not the place to recommend them. nothing against them but thats what late 80 monte carlos were for.

K

·
0 Posts
Carbed engine huh?

Big power doesn't have to come from a 4barrel carb 302... it CAN come from a simple 281... just build up the current engine... 281 parts are more expensive than 302 parts but that's because everyone and their brother has a mustang (302) and everyone and their brother makes parts for it.... give it time and the 281 will be the same. I know V6s that will eat a carbed 302 by the way... Just to let you know it takes anywhere from 20-45 hp to turn an automatic tranny. That's a lot of horsepower you can get back from a manual.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Be cautious to take any advice from BIGBIRD101.

If you read any of the replys that he left a couple days ago on the Forum when I myself asked:(4.6 Parts hard to find... ) you'll see how much of a TOOL he is.
I think most of the guys will agree with me.:p

·
Registered
299 Posts
You will be surprised to find out what kind of power can be made with your 4.6. Go pick up a copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and you will see what we are talking about. Some states have a problem with replacing an engine with one that is older, and the amount of money that you will spend replacing the 4.6 with a 5.0 or bigger will be astronomical compared to upgrading your 4.6. Make sure you do your research before making any decisions.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you're just a kid like me, save up for worthwhile things, like a GT MAF+J-Chip, or some underdrive pulleys and a gatorback belt. Those are cheap mods, that actually make somewhat of a difference. If you have more money to drop, look into saving up for new heads, or gears, or a TC. These will help, a lot.

As for 4.10 gears, they aren't exactally great for daily driving, espically if you're going to drive on the freeway. 3.73 seems to be the sweet spot.

And get a shift kit, or follow the thesis specs.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts