TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
Welcome to the boards. I see you are new here, so I'll not jump the gun.

First off, there is a lot of good information on this sort of thing already out there. It just needs to be found and read. The best way to find out is to do a quick search. Also be certain you look through the technical articles, found by clicking the link on the tccoa.com home page.

The easiest ways to make more power from the engine include a tune, followed by the PI intake swap and PI cam swap. But again, after a search you may find that upgrading the engine is not the most effective way to "soup up" these cars as far as first mods go. :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Big Stall, Steep Gears, And a Tune. Very first mods you should do. Then I would say Get a 1 piece Dynotech 3.5 inch alloy driveshaft and a built transmission per the Tech articles. Worry about engine mods last. Exhaust and intake mods are pointless early in the game and you wont feel much gain IMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what im looking for is something under 300$ to get me by until i get more money because sadly the motor in it went at 300000 miles so i had to buy another motor and that was 600. it has 145000 on it.it was completely stock when i got and stay that way.it was hell of a car and it would every bit 120 mph.but i would like more looking for around 275 hp thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
Swapping over to PI heads, cams and intake along with a good 93 octane tune will get you pretty close to that goal. To do it under $300? Unless you can find someone to donate you some parts it's not gonna happen.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Oscar, did your dream include running 120 MPH stock? Must be an extra special speed limiter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have done 120 in mine , the 95 , it has a chip , duals , and a moron driving { referring to the crap driveshaft , and my willingness to go that far with it } and the factory 3.08's . it ran right up there to it , but have no idea how much further it would go . that nasty vibration aka junk shaft needs to be replaced soon as it is a bit unnerving........................... i'd pretty much call mine stock . criminy in a short blast of a 1/4 or so my flathead truck w/ 3.92's will exceed 80 , but it will not do it for long before it starts telling you about it . so i can't see why with the speed limiter off our birds won't do 120 in a long haul ............... i've had bigger , heavier cars that would go a bit faster than that with smog motors in 'em . i dunno if the limiter is set higher in mine or something is amiss and allows it to do it .

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
The chip probably removed the speed limiter in your case. The stock speed limiter kicks in around 112 IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The chip probably removed the speed limiter in your case. The stock speed limiter kicks in around 112 IIRC.
not "probably"....it did.....he missed the whole point of my post and KDanner's...lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
reread it now i get what you were saying ..... what do ya expect , i'm up at 1am at work at 330 am and gone all day till 630 pm ,except for the 45 min break i'm on now , and usually resemble the walking brain dead ...... sorry for misunderstanding it .:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wish I knew what had been done to mine it ran a 14.9 and theres no way thats stock for a 97 4.6 and Im no tree nailer either

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
mine ran to 117 without my current chip. idk for sure but thats what the speedometer read.

for $300 i would get a used xcal programmer should give you around 15hp, firm up shifts, raise shift points, remove speed limiter, etc. but if your planning to do further work like gears, cams, heads, whatever, then you will want to wait as you will need to re-tune your programmer to get the most out of your mods

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
mine ran to 117 without my current chip. idk for sure but thats what the speedometer read.

for $300 i would get a used xcal programmer should give you around 15hp, firm up shifts, raise shift points, remove speed limiter, etc. but if your planning to do further work like gears, cams, heads, whatever, then you will want to wait as you will need to re-tune your programmer to get the most out of your mods
117mph? Hmmmm..... Running the stock size tires???? MN12's cut out at 106ish stock.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
lol its middle Tennessee there are no hills. only mods were cam and shift kit which isnt going to effect speed.. now that i think about it i believe i was running a 245 60 tire in the back.. but i dont think its any smaller in height than the stock tire?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
then it stands to reason that the limiter was removed via a chip (which you could verify by looking at the pcm), or a programmer (harder to spot) because there's no way that car would have made it to 117 on its own factory stock

1 - 20 of 25 Posts