• Yup, and its driving me crazy!

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • HAHA, I don't got your bad luck!

Votes: 8 24.2%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Permanent Window Streaking

So here's my problem... I've got streaks (permanent) on the outside of my window. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem.... This has been the problem with all of the birds I've owned (4). And if possible I'd love a solution too :)

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
really now?

I got those damn things. I always at first thought it was jus dirty windows with cigarette ash that kinda just smeared. But then the more i think about it....they never went away. I wonder if its something in the door panel that just was too close and it scratched it. Any solution would be really helpful.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That Streaking

That streaking is on every single Thunderbird you can think of....There is no way to fix this.....

That's a just a Thunderbird Thing...LOL

Beirutsfinest

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Buff the windows......

I have seen before that you can buff the windows to get the scratches out.Eastwood sell the compound to do it.You are actually shaving the glass when this is done.I have never done this but I am sure that it would work,they do it to windshields so why wouldnt it work on side windows?
Just my .02
Chris

·
Registered
855 Posts
don't think i know what you guys are talking about............my windows are fine,....don't see any streaks,...........maybe i'll have to stare long and hard.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i think the only reliable, temporary, solutions is new glass. which sucks, cause it will end up getting streaked again. my driver window is really bad. -greg

·
Registered
538 Posts
94BirdNJ

I'll show you what we are talking about at Seaside tomorrow, I have a 94 as well.
By the way, Cougars have the same problem.

BeirutsFinest

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so anyone know if our glass coverage will cover replacing them whenever they get like that? (That should get the insurance company into looking into a permenant solution if we can get them to pay each time a streak happens.)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Get some Soft Scrub from your wife, and go over the glass a few times, then clean wth regular glass cleaner. Mine looks like new now.

I used it on my yellow head lights also, then car polish to get the shine back. Works great on both.

·
Registered
40 Posts
u guys are lucky

i have a 97 cougar with almost 70k miles on it and the only problem with my windows is... i have 5% limo tint all around and a strip on the front windshield, and i recently took out my 4 12's in a false floor i built and my car hit low notes so deep and loud my windows rattled inside the doors if they were all the way down and i scraped up the tint on top of my windows :( . so im gonna either go in the doors and bend sme metal because it seems to be hitting up near the top of the door or keep a little bit of electrical tape on the windowsliek it is now

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
yellowed lights

the best thing you will ever do to fix up those headlights is to go and buy some 3M "fine cut" rubbing compound. Rub some on with a terrycloth, then keep rubbing, it will come off in like a minute but be prepared, you may faint. Its amazing how quickly it fixes it. I do it like once every two months soo far and it looks great. Good luck with it. Make sure to get the fine cut stuff though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: yellow lights...

94T-Bird said:
What is soft scrub???
Did it take away the yellowing on your headlights? Mine are horrid.
I used the soft scrub with bleach and it didn't do a thing for my headlights. It's a kitchen/all purpose cleaner.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I haven't checked to see if you can order them, but there is a metal tab or two in the door that are supposed to help keep the glass in its track. The tabs come from the factory with a layer of felt on them to prevent scratching. Well, when this felt wears down, you now have the rough nylon/plastic backing of the felt left rubbing your glass.

I may call Dan Newman tomorrow and find out if those pieces can be replaced. If not, you may be able to take them out and put on some new felt type stuff to prevent further damage to your glass.

I'm really surprised somebody hasn't mentioned this already.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sir W., let us know what you find out, since that tab has ruined the tint on both my windows. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I'm on the phone with Dan right now. There are two "Window Glass Inner Stabilizers" in each door. They're they same part mounted on opposite sides of the glass.

The part number is FODZ5422380A and they're $7.43 retail, $5.42 Members Cost. That part should fit all year Birds and Cats. You do need two per door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great, that's just what I wanted to hear. Thanks, Sir William.

·
Registered
37 Posts
UH, are you sure there are 2 per window?

This is kinda silly, questioning the club president, but I checked my Ford manual and found that there's only one of these stabilizer tabs in each window, just under rubber at the bottom of the window frame. Am I wrong, and there's actually one more that's lower?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts