TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the hardest things I have tried to diagnose. I get a moan noise while turning slightly left at a certain angle to the left 50mph and up roughly. It moans when i turn slightly left. I had an alignment done a while back and that changed the angle a bit when it made the noise but its the same noise. Now I tried to rotate the tires to see if the tire was causing the noise but it seems to be the same. All the suspension up front is new and that did not cure the symptoms. Iv'e checked the wheel bearings and everything is tight and a shop said they were all ok. Other than the wheel bearing the only other thing I am thinking may cause the noise is the power steering or the rack. Could this cause these symptoms.? Also the gas pedal vibrates some at the same time the groaning happens. From what I can see nothing is rubbing and the noise has remained the same no changes in pitch or amount. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Have you checked the power steering fluid level? I've never heard of gas pedal vibration. Brake pedal yes - gas pedal no way. Your PS pump may be on it's way out.

Have you ever changed the PS fluid?

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey man long time see how goes.... yea Iv'e flushed it and is all full using atf no leaks other than residue nothing that effects the level. Also fluid looks ok no metal chunks or anything.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Thanks, I'm wide open with what's left of my hair on fire. Just got to the hotel about half an hour ago. Flight delays and construction traffic. Got to love life on the road.

Sorry I can't be more help. Those are the only things that I can think of.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh be safe good to hear from you. Yea... I'm low on cash right now or I would just throw parts at it. I'm leaning towards something with the power steering or rack simply because it feels a bit odd to me although ppl say the steering is a bit tight on these cars it still feels a bit tight to me but hard to say since im used to driving with my pinky on my 3.8 for all those years lol. I guess I'm sol until something breaks which probably will be never since this one time I actually want something to get worse so I know what is wrong lol. Thanks anyway, take care.

·
5,650 Posts
It sound steering related to me. It could be related to the EVO (electronic variable orifice) steering. At highway speeds, a valve on the power steering pump restricts fluid flow to give the system a tight feel, and maybe the moaning noise is related to that. Just something to think about. You might want to try unplugging the valve at the steering pump and see if it goes away, then you'll know for sure.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea was thinking of trying that; I guess if the noise got worse or better, it would mean something with the power steering is out of wack and would narrow the problem down some. ty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts