21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Fixed.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
So I’ve noticed these dipshits are now blurring images with their giant watermarks in the middle now, which no longer can be fixed by plugins, for example:

Annoyed, I checked through their impossibly buggy mess of a once useful site and managed to find this.

Proudly Hosted On Photobucket Watermark

Photobucket hosts over 130 million images for free every day! In order to keep our basic hosting services absolutely free for all members, we overlay a “proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on all images that are displayed by our free members on sites other than photobucket.com.

By watermarking images, we are able to reduce our brand marketing expenses to offset our bandwidth costs. Everyone wins!

If you prefer your images to remain watermark-free, you will need to upgrade to one of our subscription plans that includes enhanced hosting services.
:facepalm:

So they break the internet, extort every user with a $400 ransom, fail miserably when everyone stopped using them instead, fixed the broken links two years later, capped the resolution, stuck their GIANT watermark in the MIDDLE of the photo, lowered the ransom to $6( confirming their idiocy) and now blur the rest of the image to once again, extort you... Everyone wins! Oh and they nuked TinyPic a few weeks ago with no notice, which they claim otherwise to cover their ass.

Have they not yet realized the gaping flaw in their logic that I the uploader have the original image copies saved somewhere, and that paying their fee only allows me to see my own images that I already have access to?

/rant

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Because of this whole Photofuck ****, I've ironically, switched over to using whatever image hosting availability is made possible by whatever forum I'm posting on.

More recently though, I've started using Tapatalk and found it has a photo hosting ability as well and have used it from time to time. Though, with the latest two updates of Tapatalk, I wouldn't be surprised if they take away free file / image hosting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started using Imgur because they're not just an image host, they're a community like Youtube except for still pictures. All that community traffic must bring in enough ad revenue that I figure they won't have any trouble keeping the lights on, we'll see. I'm not interested in the community thing myself, but it seems to work in my favor.

But whichever host you use make sure to keep a copy of everything, just in case they close down. I had a bunch of stuff I had uploaded straight to Photofuckit, but I was able to save it all while the site still had at least partial functionality.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
I use imgur and site hosting as well, I moved on from photobucket as soon as the BS started. What continues to frustrate me about it though is every time i’m trying to find something that happens to be on a forum, I see old posts with great content obscured by these blurred watermark images you can only see with clarity by clicking on them to PB’s super buggy website, even with adblocker cranked(often blocking the picture with it). That’s what got me irate enough to revive this thread in the middle of the night :tongue:

Plus I’m frustrated that all the time I spent organizing my own posts using photobucket for 10 years are permafucked. I have almost nothing there that I don’t have backed up on multiple PCs, my iPhone and iPad but I’m not going back and reuploading them.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I use imgur and site hosting as well, I moved on from photobucket as soon as the BS started. What continues to frustrate me about it though is every time i’m trying to find something that happens to be on a forum, I see old posts with great content obscured by these blurred watermark images you can only see with clarity by clicking on them to PB’s super buggy website, even with adblocker cranked(often blocking the picture with it). That’s what got me irate enough to revive this thread in the middle of the night :tongue:

Plus I’m frustrated that all the time I spent organizing my own posts using photobucket for 10 years are permafucked. I have almost nothing there that I don’t have backed up on multiple PCs, my iPhone and iPad but I’m not going back and reuploading them.
Wait you actually have an iPhone and iPad now? Has this Matt been replaced with a newer version or something? Who allowed this Firmware update?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The extension for Chrome desktop called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" has supposedly been updated for the current watermark and blur filter. Unfortunately, it's made by the same developer who injected his Amazon affiliate ID into the plugin over a year ago, got called out for it on GitHub, then removed the affiliate linking and scrubbed the evidence in his commit history. I guess it's safe to use now, and he is less of a scumbag than the Photobucket execs, but still one nonetheless.

Also, I'm usually able to get a non-watermarked version of Photofuckit images to load after screwing around with loading the image via the Page Info window in Waterfox Classic, then refreshing the image in the main browser window, at which point I save it to my computer to make sure I have the non-watermarked version. Your average user won't be able to pull that off though.

I also use forum embedding and Imgur now, but one day, I'll get around to installing photo gallery software like Piwigo on my web server for personal use. It's the only way to be sure the images I post online stay put.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
So now, after adding watermarks, they've taken to blurring images and setting bandwidth limits. Apparently the *free limit is only 25MB per month, which is a joke.

I just got an email that I need to "Get Unlimited Bandwidth for $5 a month." Has anyone else seen this extortion email? This price is where they should have started when they first tried to monetize the site instead of charging the hundreds of dollars for an account that they first asked for.

**** Them!

Edit: Ok, so I haven't paid too close attention to this thread. After reading through it and catching up I see that Matt covered the situation pretty well back on Sept. 29. So anyway, it looks like the ransom that Matt mentioned has been lowered from $6 to $5 now.

So I’ve noticed these dipshits are now blurring images with their giant watermarks in the middle now, which no longer can be fixed by plugins, for example:

https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/cougarman1/2016/DSC03013.jpg

Annoyed, I checked through their impossibly buggy mess of a once useful site and managed to find this.

:facepalm:

So they break the internet, extort every user with a $400 ransom, fail miserably when everyone stopped using them instead, fixed the broken links two years later, capped the resolution, stuck their GIANT watermark in the MIDDLE of the photo, lowered the ransom to $6 (confirming their idiocy) and now blur the rest of the image to once again, extort you... Everyone wins! Oh and they nuked TinyPic a few weeks ago with no notice, which they claim otherwise to cover their ass.

Have they not yet realized the gaping flaw in their logic that I the uploader have the original image copies saved somewhere, and that paying their fee only allows me to see my own images that I already have access to?

/rant

·
Registered
59 Posts
They were (and still are) delusional. The original $400 per year ($33.33 per month) was outrageous. You can find a reliable web host for $5 a month. DreamHost, which isn't my favorite host but still more than serviceable for this purpose and has been around forever, even gives you unlimited storage and bandwidth. Set up some open source photo album software on the server and enjoy having your own personal image host for cheap without all the BS.

Photobucket's convoluted UI prevented direct image linking as much as possible even before their laziness and greed consumed them. It was so bad, they should have been paying their users to use it.

·
Super Moderator
4,901 Posts
They were (and still are) delusional. The original $400 per year ($33.33 per month) was outrageous. You can find a reliable web host for $5 a month. DreamHost, which isn't my favorite host but still more than serviceable for this purpose and has been around forever, even gives you unlimited storage and bandwidth. Set up some open source photo album software on the server and enjoy having your own personal image host for cheap without all the BS.

Photobucket's convoluted UI prevented direct image linking as much as possible even before their laziness and greed consumed them. It was so bad, they should have been paying their users to use it.
Makes me glad I have my own server for my images ...

It's sitting in my den.

RwP

21 - 34 of 34 Posts