TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked the question about the physical size of the Modular engines before. I know that all 4.6L will fit into the the car. So will also the 5.4L 2V. The other 5.4L will fit if I rebuild the complete engine room. A lot of work and it will probably not be worth the work.

I have seen that Summit and some other has the new 5.0L as a crate engine. I know that it cost money, but to get the +400 hp ( or +350 hp )out of a 4.6L is not that big difference in money.

My question is: will the new 5.0L fit into the engine room of a 1994 T-bird?

Berth

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
It should fit fine-the external dimensions are very similar...but be ready for a load of modifications-you'll need the PCM and wiring harness,or the TVCT is useless, and if you don't install the trans,you'll need a standalone controller for your 4R70W.
Possible,yes.
Easy, no.
Will it be done by someone....maybe :)
JL

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Biggest problem for this chassis is getting an exhaust manifold/header to fit. The mounting configuration for this is totally unique. Shop next to me has one on the stand going into a SN95 Mustang, should be a treat once the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Biggest problem for this chassis is getting an exhaust manifold/header to fit. The mounting configuration for this is totally unique. Shop next to me has one on the stand going into a SN95 Mustang, should be a treat once the bugs are worked out.
Sweet. I would love to see one of them new 5.0s in a 'bird.

For all the haters, dont be hatin... :tongue:

·
3,232 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It's been discussed.
JL
Understood. :)

Someone will probably do it I will be happy to see it. There are alot of guys with alot of electronics skills and alot of time on their hands. I understand how hard it is to BS the computer into working properly, I'd just like to see it done. :)

·
3,232 Posts
Understood. :)

Someone will probably do it I will be happy to see it. There are alot of guys with alot of electronics skills and alot of time on their hands. I understand how hard it is to BS the computer into working properly, I'd just like to see it done. :)
I was kinda hinting that it had been discussed between myself and other unnamed persons......there will be a Tbird with a 5.0L TVCT engine and a 6speed in it at some point. It just all depends on time and money. Talk about it all you want around here, I have no problem with that.
But...crap that starts in about moderator bias and 5.4L's,etc will be deleted immediately. Keep it somewhat on topic, or I'll fix it. :)
JL

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
Other than electronics and headers... The oil filter adapter seems to be integrated into the timing cover right where the PS pump used to be now, so adapting the electric PS pump would probably be a must as well.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Talk about it all you want around here, I have no problem with that.
But...crap that starts in about moderator bias and 5.4L's,etc will be deleted immediately. Keep it somewhat on topic, or I'll fix it. :)
JL
THANK YOU. and no coment- we all know where i stand: I want to see someone do it just to see one in an mn12. sounds like a lot of work and money

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
If yall need something fabbed on the car Johnny, let me know, as I have seen these cars pretty naked at times.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Other than electronics and headers... The oil filter adapter seems to be integrated into the timing cover right where the PS pump used to be now, so adapting the electric PS pump would probably be a must as well.
The oil filter adapter is not part of the front cover.

The electric steering rack mounts with vertical bolts just like the earlier S197 cars, not horizontal bolts like older cars.

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
I see, that makes more sense seeing as the casting for the coolant and oil passages would have had to been seriously revised from the previous blocks. I had to dig out my 5.0 magazine for pics, the coyote filter adapter has the filter further towards the front than earlier mod motors, almost making it look integrated to the timing cover in certain shots.

I knew the s197 rack's wouldn't fit, but didn't realize it was an electric rack. I figured it used an external electric pump in place of the mechanical one like some other cars. Interesting.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Yeah there's a huge motor on the passenger side of the rack.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Yeah there's a huge motor on the passenger side of the rack.
Surely to all that's holy it's not steer-by-wire... :eek:

I don't see why there should be any controversy on the new 5.0 engine; It's not a truck motor, and weighs too little to be a boat anchor.

Has anyone done a conversion on a FBW car to add throttle/whatever linkages? :) I bet that takes a heck of a retune, lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
I don't see why there should be any controversy on the new 5.0 engine; It's not a truck motor, and weighs too little to be a boat anchor.
According to the comptroller at one of the local Ford dealerships - the 2011 or 2012 F150s will have Coyote motors in them, although tuned differently.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
According to the comptroller at one of the local Ford dealerships - the 2011 or 2012 F150s will have Coyote motors in them, although tuned differently.

RwP
That's not what I meant.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts