TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a 2002 aluminum explorer 4.6L in my 96, and I am planning on getting an xcalibrator2 from blueovalchips.com. I was originally going to leave my rev limit the same, but I have reconsidered and would like to up the limiter on my 91 octane tune. I was wondering, from a mechanical standpoint, how high could I go before performance drops off on a stock PI? I was thinking, if the stock limit is 5300 RPM, could I go up to say 5800 RPM relatively safely? I commute with my bird, I dont usually drive it that hard, but every once in a while I like to drive spirted, and I would like to see what the 4.6 can do at higher RPMs?

Thanks for any opinions

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
5400 rpm is about the max you want to go on a stock torque converter, not sure if urs is stock or not.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
With the PI engine you would want the RPM limiter upped, but it is the TC balloning above 5400 is what you want to stay away from. If it is the stock 12 incher that is pretty much the limit. If it is a 11.25 then you can go higher I think.

A PI engine makes max torque at 4k RPM, the NPI at 3k, I think they are basically the same at 275 foot pounds, but PI moves it up all the way to 4k! Just with the PI intake (I haven't gotten the PI cams in yet, everything else with the car is braking not letting me do it) I can feel it start gaining ground them BAM it shifts and I lose all momentum and feels like a V6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts