TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PI Alternator bracket confusion...

Well it seems that I purchased the wrong alternator bracket. I did a search, and found that about half the time the wrong part number was posted.

This is the wrong part number: 1r3z 10153 aa. This is for a cobra/bullit alternator.
This is the right part number: 1W7E 10153 EA This is for our alternator and has the "arms" for routing the plug wires over the alternator instead of under (under is factory).

Hope this clears up some confusion.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a question about the alt. brackets. I was at a junk yard an i seen a 1997 4.6 cougar. However the alternater bracket was different (it did have those arm things on it, i thought it looked cleaner) then my 1996 tbird one so i got it and it does not fit. Is it a PI motor? Or is it just a different alternator setup?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did the 97 cougar have the aluminum water crossover? Someone may have already swapped intakes, but the aluminum crossover was used on both PI and non-PI intakes. The aluminum crossover intake (PI or Non-PI) requires a different alternator bracket than the plastic crossover manifolds. The center mounting bolt sits a little farther to the rear on the aluminum crossover bracket.

Be careful with those plug wire support arms on the newer bracket. The drivers' side arm sits too close to the alternator main power lead, without just relying on the rubber terminal lug boot for insulation, IMHO. There isn't enough room to reroute the alternator wire so it comes in to the post with more clearance. I just cut the arms off on mine and kept the wires routed under the alternator.

I just swapped in a non-PI aluminumcrossover manifold. I have pics of the bracket differences, if anyone wants them, but they are 500k jpgs.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
sorry, thread resurection....GB, will this brakcet work for the all composite PI manifold?

thanks

joseph

·
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't say for sure, but I believe so.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
GreenBird said:
I can't say for sure, but I believe so.

good....after my shredded belt on monday, it took a chunk out of my MSD wires, its time to do it right.

joseph

·
Registered
295 Posts
The non-PI, plastic crossover manifold's alternator bracket (F6SE-10153-AA) will not fit on the non-PI aluminum crossover manifold.

The non-PI, aluminum crossover manifold's alternator bracket (1W7E-10153-EA) will not fit on a non-PI manifold with the plastic crossover . Check with Dan Newman if you have a PI manifold with the plastic crossover, because they might be different from the all-plastic non-PI's.

The two rear bolt holes are in the same location, but not the center one. It moves to the rear on the bracket, since the aluminum crossover's bolt holes are moved sightly forward.

I recently did the manifold swap, but it's still non-PI. I'll send you a pic comparing them side by side if you want one, just let me know.

·
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and if your going to use a bullitt manifold, you need PN 2r3z-10153-aa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts