TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive been searching for days on here and at mod depot forums and cant find the thread im looking for....

question what cams do i want romeo or windsor for a 97 4.6?
do i need to change anything on the heads like the springs or valves>?
any special tools or things to know
how long should it take to do?

im switching to pi cams and intake and gonna get upgraded npi heads later on....
thanks for all the input

also anyone know a cheap place to get new cams?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
ok ive been searching for days on here and at mod depot forums and cant find the thread im looking for....

do i need to change anything on the heads like the springs or valves>?
any special tools or things to know
how long should it take to do?

im switching to pi cams and intake and gonna get upgraded npi heads later on....
thanks for all the input

thanks in advance
To make it easier you'd want Romeo cams and the Ford special tool that prevents you from having to remove the front cover. I used to have one of those tools but I loaned it to Sir William and never got it back. Maybe you can contact him about borrowing a tool, he obviously has one.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you know what the name of the tool is?
and also will the pi intake fit under the stock 97 hood?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Timing chain holder, search for wedge.
there is a ford (rotunda) one and an anderson motorsports version.
PI intake is no taller than npi above the mount, just the plenum box below.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
paintme205 said:
As stated earlier, Romeo cams. With the tool mentioned you don't have to pull the front cover.

paintme205 said:
do i need to change anything on the heads like the springs or valves?
You don't have to change any of the springs or valves, but I'm not sure about how to get the springs out from under the cam and vice versa. Any help on that?
paintme205 said:
any special tools or things to know how long should it take to do?
covered already

paintme205 said:

thanks in advance
Ebay

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for all the questions but where can i buy the timing chain holder? cant seem to find it online...gotta be available somewhere and also will the car run alright for a month or so while i wait for a chip or is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I kept searching eBay for the part number of the Ford one, and bought the Rotunda toolkit (and noticed a couple others like the IRS setup kit) that contains it.

Off and on you will see them for sale here and other modular motor sites, one just sold within the last month or so.

PI cams and intake don't require a chip, but a chip will allow you to get maximum benefit from them.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yeah, second one, I have the previous version of that, and the new one looks both better, and more disposible.

This is the one I got.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey well i didnt win the one on ebay so anyone know where i can just buy one outright? any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
hey well i didnt win the one on ebay so anyone know where i can just buy one outright? any help would be appreciated
Dude, goto your local vatozone and ask for the lend a tool and see if they have it. They should have it locally too. I think checker auto parts also has that program where they lend the tool.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

Might try this site.

Click on "Anderson Products" then scroll down to the bottom and look for "Cam Chain Retention Tool".

There is also a very good article on the site on how to use the tool to change out the cams.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.