TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 cvpi and I was planning on doing the pi cam swap...Ive heard theres 2 methods a method where u can use a cam retention tool and the other pulling the front engine cover off and the valve covers...I planned on using the retention tool but Ive heard that you are guessing when trying to retime each cam....I know on my steeda underdrive pullies the crank pulley displays the degrees at which the motor is positioned..couldn't I just put the motor at a certain degree and go by the indents on the front of the cam sprocket? And could someone explain all I would have to do using the tool....can the cam sprocket stay on and I just lift the cam out once removing the cap clusters and the large cam sprocket bolt?? And will my cam sprocket fit a pi cam?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
first off you'll need the smaller PI cam sprocket bolts...so dont start your project without those in hand :)

with the cam tool, no re-timing is necessary, unless the tool slips and the chains jump teeth on the crank gear and/or the cam gear.....so yes, pretty much just like you said, remove/pry all cam followers off, slip the cam tool between the chains down into the motor (preferably with a friend close by so they can keep pressure on it to make sure it doesnt slip out), slide the cam gear out while holding it so it doesnt jump teeth, remove cam cap bolts, take old cam out, put new cam in, coat the journal contact areas with assembly lube or motor oil, torque down the cam caps using the proper sequence for the bolts, then slide the cam gear back onto the cam, toqure down the cam gear bolt after placing the spacer back on there

there is a bank 1 and a bank 2 to the PI cams, so make sure you put the correct one in the correct side

1 - 3 of 3 Posts