TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed my swap to PI cams but now that it is all back together I can hear a rattle from the chains in the front of the motor.

Car is running great other than the noise......how does the chain tensionor stay tight? How do they work?

I have driven the car about 50 miles and it seems to be a bit better but you can still hear them when the car idles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oil pressure pumps up the tensioners. Did you make sure there were no plugs in the head behind the tensioners when you bolted them on?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put PI cams in my NPI heads that was on my car.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think its either:

A - Junked tensioner/tensioner ratchet piece

B - Tensioner not bolted down all the way

C - Missing bottle cap from one too many beers

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nick you are a hoot.....but I think it is A...I am going to just order 2 new tensioners and put them in next week...I do not think it will hurt much maybe were some on the guides...and I might just buy new ones anyway .

What do you think?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have any of the cast iron ones?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much.

sounds like another road trip?

Are ever over my way?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The new tensioners suck! Are you sure the guides aren't shot? I see that more than anything. I'm not sure how you put the cams in but maybe the tensioners actually got tighter and rubbed the plastic off one of the guides.
Alan

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not the guides car was fine before I did the PI cam swap and now I have the noise from the timing cover area....when I cleaned out the tensioner and closed it up to remove it the passenger one did not seem to want to move bacK out and now the engine is together again I have the noise.

I will take it back apart and either replace it or clean it but I do not want to have to do this tear down again.

It might be clogged to as there was some junk on them that I cleaned out and maybe maybe I clogged up the oil holes.

I will have to see when I tear it apart agin.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
What does this noise sound like precisely? I just put new PI cams in my engine and I've got noise coming from the front of the engine as well.

How difficult is it to replace the tensioners? I may have a set here I can put in but I'm worried about the timing. I didn't have to worry much about the timing when I swapped cams as I just kept the chains tight, the sprockets in place, and put the cams in them. I hate messing with timing.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sound is like something banging on the inside of the timing cover a some what of a hollow sound.

My problem turned out to be a chain tensioner that did not pump up as the are hydraulic . You will have to pull the timing cover to check them, but I do not understand if you did not remove them then rearely do they go bad but it can happen as it did to me.

After you remove the timing cover just as you would do if you were to swap cams like I did then you just un bolt 2 bolts and pull the tensioner off and put another one in but we do not think you should by a new one as they are plastic look for a used one that is stronger.

Good luck...pulling all the parts off the front of the motor is not hard just takes some time, do some searches in here and you will find all the directions and look at mondular depot also about swap cams directions.

I will be happy to help anyway I can as I now have done this 3 times in the past month.

Jerry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts