TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my son wants to step up the green 97 Bird. Last week we dropped off the heads, block, crank, rods and pistons at the machine shop. I was able to get a motor out of a 2004 P71 Crown Vic.
Today a Stage 2 set of PI cams from Modular Head Shop arrived. This should be fun.

·
Administrator
14,479 Posts
Nice!

Reactions: supergordo

·
SuperNewbie
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's nothing like unboxing a camshaft. So much excitement. Can't wait to see the build progress!
Machine shop should be done in a week. Going to start assembling right away.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I wonder if you got the motor from our old '04 CVPI. It had 99k on it, and didn't burn a drop of oil. Probably a long shot as we're in NC.

Geico last owned it, and I had some sketchy person leave me a message asking if I had the title. No, I don't have the title, that goes with the car when you "sell" it. I never understood that call. I'm sure they just got it for parts.

Al

·
SuperNewbie
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if you got the motor from our old '04 CVPI. It had 99k on it, and didn't burn a drop of oil. Probably a long shot as we're in NC.

Geico last owned it, and I had some sketchy person leave me a message asking if I had the title. No, I don't have the title, that goes with the car when you "sell" it. I never understood that call. I'm sure they just got it for parts.

Al
Couldn't be. I was given a 2004 Las Vegas Metro Police car. I pulled the engine myself.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Those year engines are the ones with plastic, non-ratcheting tensioners; I'd clean the tbird iron ones,and use them. And get the newer material chain guides. The 2003-2006 guides are famous for disintegrating, and blocking the oil pickup screen.
Looks like a nice upgrade. :)

·
SuperNewbie
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those year engines are the ones with plastic, non-ratcheting tensioners; I'd clean the tbird iron ones,and use them. And get the newer material chain guides. The 2003-2006 guides are famous for disintegrating, and blocking the oil pickup screen.
Looks like a nice upgrade. :)
Good suggestions! I'll definitely use the Iron tensioners. Which newer chain guides are you talking about?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
The ones now available are made of a different material, Ford retired the old ones. I think Nick was the one that brought it up, when I bought an 03 TC engine.

This is the problem that Oxman ran into:

More issues:

This one has Pix! :
Thankfully, we don't have cam phasers. :)

·
SuperNewbie
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ones now available are made of a different material, Ford retired the old ones. I think Nick was the one that brought it up, when I bought an 03 TC engine.

This is the problem that Oxman ran into:
Thanks!

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
They restrict the(waste) flow of oil to the inside of the head, and raise the pressure at the cam bearings.
Check mmr and mhs, usually one is considerably cheaper than the other. The gt parts are pricier.
What kind of condition were the lifters in?

Reactions: Ericv8thunderbird

·
SuperNewbie
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They restrict the(waste) flow of oil to the inside of the head, and raise the pressure at the cam bearings.
Check mmr and mhs, usually one is considerably cheaper than the other. The gt parts are pricier.
What kind of condition were the lifters in?
The lifters and rockers we took out look fine, but we're going with new ones anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I went thru 3 sets of dohc lifters, trying to find a good set; I'll be buying new too. :)

• Wow
1 - 20 of 30 Posts