TCCoA Forums banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
For anyone interested this is what i worked up years ago for the PI intake water tube to keep the SATC. Think I’m gonna take this to my local hose shop and have them make me something more permanent then the hose clamp situation.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I will say with he higher lift cams and the GT500 rockers, the rockers are a bit tougher to install over stock.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I found the timing cover. Was right under my nose basically. Needs a serious degreasing.

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Can anyone off advice on the harmonic balancer. This is a 2004 Crown Vic engine. The Vic balancer is different than the tbird balancer. Should I stick with the vic balancer?

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
I would; it's stock for that version. And 20 years newer, lol.

Reactions: supergordo

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
It doesn't really matter since its only a damper, not a balancer, either one will work fine on one engine or the other, later ones are heavier with the noticably thicker "lip" on the end so they're more effective at absorbing the crankshaft harmonics than the older one, so the later one in theory might be a little easier on things like cast trigger wheel(though I assume yours is the later stamped one) or the stock oil pump gears that can crack or shatter from excess crank harmonics.

But I'd use whichever, as long as the rubber in the middle is still bonded and not wobbling it's a winner.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Did you set the timing? where did you put the centerline?

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Thanks guys. I'll go with the 2004 one. Just was not sure if it was balanced to the rotating assembly. I need to clean up the oil pan, pickup and timing cover and this motor will basically be ready to drop in...

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Did you set the timing? where did you put the centerline?
No, I did not set the timing. The cams are stage 2 cams from Modular head shop. We paid them to degree the cams. If you look at the pictures the cam gears are labeled. They sent the cams with new cam gears and a set of degreed crank gears. I followed their recommendations.

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Sweet! I think Nick was the one that noticed the stock gears weren't necessarily zeroed from the factory.

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Sweet! I think Nick was the one that noticed the stock gears weren't necessarily zeroed from the factory.
Well we are hoping for the best with this. The cams are a large investment for sure. But I think it'll be worth it in the end. The MHS degreeing service seems like a no brainer when you spend a bunch on the cams.

·
Registered
Ford Lincoln Mercury
361 Posts
After degreeing hundreds of modular camshafts, IMHO modular cams can't really be "pre-degreed". They really need to be degreed on the engine they will be run in. The engine MHS uses cannot be exactly the same as every other modular engine. Will it be close? Maybe. But how will you know unless you measure it? Dot to dot might be close too.

The price is pretty cheap so it's probably worth it to those who can't/won't degree their own cams.

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
After degreeing hundreds of modular camshafts, IMHO modular cams can't really be "pre-degreed". They really need to be degreed on the engine they will be run in. The engine MHS uses cannot be exactly the same as every other modular engine. Will it be close? Maybe. But how will you know unless you measure it? Dot to dot might be close too.

The price is pretty cheap so it's probably worth it to those who can't/won't degree their own cams.
Fair enough. I figured for the price it was worth paying them for the service. Get all new cam gears too.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Modular motors are not like pushrod motors. You can take them apart and not screw with the timing. I've had these c heads on and off a dozen times; they're still in the same spot. They've held a 110 degree centerline, and I've swapped three sets of cams.

·
Registered
Ford Lincoln Mercury
361 Posts
Modular motors are not like pushrod motors. You can take them apart and not screw with the timing. I've had these c heads on and off a dozen times; they're still in the same spot. They've held a 110 degree centerline, and I've swapped three sets of cams.
Q: why do modular camshafts need to be degreed?
A: due to a buildup of machine tolerances, i.e. every engine is not exactly the same.

Your response makes no sense- the cams have centerlines not the heads.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
The centerline can shift if you take the bolts out of the cams. And that's part of taking them out. 110 vs 112 makes a difference.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
The MHS pre degreed cams ship with the sprockets torqued AFAIK, that’s really the only machine tolerance that will affect cam timing to any significant measure. Deck height variance can alter it too but that’s pretty consistent on modulars unless they’ve been machined after the fact, otherwise timing covers wouldn’t interchange

·
SuperNewbie
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
The MHS pre degreed cams ship with the sprockets torqued AFAIK, that’s really the only machine tolerance that will affect cam timing to any significant measure. Deck height variance can alter it too but that’s pretty consistent on modulars unless they’ve been machined after the fact, otherwise timing covers wouldn’t interchange
Our cams came with new gears and bolts torqued and ready to install.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts