TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm contemplating getting the PI stuff in my T-bird in the future, although I want to get my gears put in with a TL, a performance d/s and bigger brakes. My question is would it be cheaper to get PI cams, heads and intake, or just swap in a PI motor? BTW, I have a 97 with 57k on it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to do the myself, but I don't know if I can do it.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
it'd probably be just as much either way. You've already got the wiring harness for everything the PI intake does so that'll keep your costs down, but for the price of PI heads (200-300 used?), PI cams (100-200), and PI intake (100-200) you can find a PI explorer motor with the lighter aluminum block for about that much. And when you're doing a head swap its easier to pull the motor anyway, so you might as well just put in a whole aluminum PI motor for the same amount of work and money.
-Thomas

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Thomas said:
it'd probably be just as much either way. You've already got the wiring harness for everything the PI intake does so that'll keep your costs down, but for the price of PI heads (200-300 used?), PI cams (100-200), and PI intake (100-200) you can find a PI explorer motor with the lighter aluminum block for about that much. And when you're doing a head swap its easier to pull the motor anyway, so you might as well just put in a whole aluminum PI motor for the same amount of work and money.
-Thomas
I disagree with Thomas,

I did the PI head/cam/intake swap. Wasn't that bad and for me, It wasn't too expensive..What killed me though and won't kill you, is I had to buy fuel lines, fuel rails, intake tube, etc to convert over...Heads,cams, and intake and new HGs can be had for about $600. Call ted brown for the heads, Dan newman for the "Head change kit", and you should be able to find a PI intake failrly cheap :)

Shane

·
Registered
271 Posts
would the compression be higher after doing the headswap as compared to just using a pi aluminum explorer motor? or will they have the same compression

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
XR7 as hell said:
would the compression be higher after doing the headswap as compared to just using a pi aluminum explorer motor? or will they have the same compression
Yes. Explorer motor: ~9.4:1, Headswap: ~10.4:1...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
XR7 as hell said:
so basically if you dont intend of forced induction the head swap could be a better choice if you want to go all motor?
Without devolving into a PI vs. NPI pissing match, yes, on a stock shortblock the added compression from PI heads will help.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Kodiak kid said:
I disagree with Thomas,

I did the PI head/cam/intake swap. Wasn't that bad and for me, It wasn't too expensive..What killed me though and won't kill you, is I had to buy fuel lines, fuel rails, intake tube, etc to convert over...Heads,cams, and intake and new HGs can be had for about $600. Call ted brown for the heads, Dan newman for the "Head change kit", and you should be able to find a PI intake failrly cheap :)

Shane
You would :tongue: while the higher compression is good for NA, you can get a lighter motor for the same price or a few hundred more, which IMO is better than the higher compression. The weight savings would make you faster than the higher compression would.
-Thomas

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Thomas said:
You would :tongue: while the higher compression is good for NA, you can get a lighter motor for the same price or a few hundred more, which IMO is better than the higher compression. The weight savings would make you faster than the higher compression would.
-Thomas
Guess that means I've got you Shane :eek: ;)

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Palmguy said:
Guess that means I've got you Shane :eek: ;)
heh, I doubt that there buddy...Just go join The Coast Guard and maybe you'll get an education :D But, without flaming, I shall have time slips soon...and we will see whos faster :D

Shane

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would it be very difficult for me to install a PI intake and cams on a NPI engine?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
97TiBirdMan, as the old saying goes......if you have to ask, you're not ready yet

i was in the same position....contemplating if i should attempt the cam swap myself...after all i did do the PI intake swap by myself....but in the end, i just wasn't 100% comfortable taking apart the engine to that level.....with the help of a fellow TCCoA'er who had already done the swap, it went much smoother than if i had attempted it by myself

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So do all the hoses, vacum lines ect. fit the PI stuff with no problems?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
IMO if you end up wanting to do this: buy a set of heads complete with everythign installed on them. That way alls you have to do pretty much is swap heads and intake.
Just take your time, that's all that really matters IMO.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts