TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to buy a 2000 pi engine real cheap. What additional parts do i need to buy, and what modifications do i need to make? I have a 1995 cougar. Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
where did you get the engine and how much? As far as the swap Im not sure about the 94's but I know it is more involved than the 97's.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
phatcat- send me an email and i can send you some info. im doing a pi swap next week on my 96, btw how much did you spend on the motor im really interested. gotta see if i was riped off. and also where did ya get it at?

[email protected]

keith deluca

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have the engine yet, will probably get it by Tuesday if everything goes as planned. I will let you guys know if i get it then!!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
do you know where i can get one of those cheap here in TX?

I would really like to do the PI engine swap but my funds are low :-( If you have any information on how to find a PI headed 4.6 for cheap in Texas, please let me know!
THanks bro
-Rob

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
i got mine for 1400+shipping($50) from fierge auto. call them at 1-800-252-9025

·
Registered
19 Posts
can someone who has done the swap email me what is require to change to a 99 pi engine. I can get one from All Mustangs with computer and wiring for $1300.00 out the door. All Mustangs is about 5 miles from my house which makes it really nice. I have a manual transmission (T-45) in my 1995 T-Bird hopefully that will make it a little easier. What other parts will I need to get.

·
Registered
86 Posts
PI Swap. What you need to do.

Here's the list.

a) swap oil pans and pick up tubes.
b) swap oil filter tree? adaptor? ( not sure what it's called)
c) grind, cut motor mounts ( very easy)
d) 96-97 t-bird EGR tube
e) relocate Temp gauge sensor
f) 96-97 T-bird or 96-2001 GT intake tube
g) bend a/c lines to clear 2000 GT idler pulley or replace timming cover with 96-97 T-bird cover. 94-95 T-bird covers wont bolt up.
h) 99-2001 GT uses a different connector for the IAC valve than the 94-95 T-bird.96-97 T- birds are ok. If your engine comes with a harness just splice the GT connector on to your T-bird harnes. They use the same color coded wires.
i) 96-97 T-bird vacume harness
j) Ford does'nt make the 96-97 T-bird intake plenum anymore ( the part that has the 4.6 L plaque on it) So you'll havt to use the GT plenum which does'nt have the brake booster vac. port. You'll have to either drill and tap a new port into the plenum or just use a vac tee to tap into one of the vac lines ( thats what I did. It worked out great.)
k) GT torque converter
l) GT 8 bolt flex plate
m) modify engine harness. You have two choices. Lengthen only the wires that need to be lengthen or unravel the harness and convert it to a 96-97 T-bird harness( A whole lot of cutting and splicing invloved!) I've seen it done both ways and they both looked O.E. It comes down to how much time you have.
n) buy T-bird headers or extrude hone your exhaust manifolds.
o) install a true dual exhaust or replace your exhaust with larger diameter pipe.
p) 96-97 T-bird fuel rails
q) 99-2001 GT MAF sensor or equivalent after market sensor. I used a 2000 Lightning 80 mm MAF sensor.
r) have a chip made or have your computer reflashed. The engine will run with out a reflash and the stock MAF sensor but it won't run at 100%.

Well I think thats all of it!!Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Personally, I'd just drill and tap a new vacuum port for my brakes if I were you. You can actually lose braking ability by tapping off of vacuum lines, I've seen it happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts