TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Have done the searching but I am coming up short, so...

Besides the block not being aluminum, Can I get a 02-05 Crown Vic/Marquis Engine to swap into my '96?

SInce I own a '96 and will have to change the front cover anyways, plus I have the needed throttle body, cables, fuel lines already. Will any 4.6 from '02-'05 explorer motor work? Since these are aluminum?

With all that I read I'm still not sure about all the differences between Romeo and Windsor engines and who has them. All I'm looking for right now is to know what donors I can look at. I want a direct fit engine, iron or aluminum is not really an issue right now if I can get a deal on an iron long block.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I Have done the searching but I am coming up short, so...

Besides the block not being aluminum, Can I get a 02-05 Crown Vic/Marquis Engine to swap into my '96?

SInce I own a '96 and will have to change the front cover anyways, plus I have the needed throttle body, cables, fuel lines already. Will any 4.6 from '02-'05 explorer motor work? Since these are aluminum?

With all that I read I'm still not sure about all the differences between Romeo and Windsor engines and who has them. All I'm looking for right now is to know what donors I can look at. I want a direct fit engine, iron or aluminum is not really an issue right now if I can get a deal on an iron long block.

Thanks for the help.
all i can speak for is what i just done...i just put an 03' GM engine in my 96 Tbird...use your 96 front timing cover and oil pan/pickup tube and fuel accessories on the top end...basically all you use is the heads block and intake from the crown vic/GM engine.....you will have to reconfigure the water pump nipple and either drill and tap the coolant crossover(for the drivers side temp sensor) or just use the crossover from the 96 engine if its aluminum....also you will use the crank trigger exciter wheel from the crown vic/GM engine...remember this is for swapping a late model crown vic/GM engine into a 96/97 V8 Tbird...this is pretty much a painless swap...other engine years and combos i cant comment on just what ive done above...BUT get ready to spend some coin to do the job right....sure you CAN reuse the gaskets BUT do you REALLY want to chance it!!??...these engines are shoe-horned between the shock towers!!....parts alone cost me about $1000 NOT including the engine...just keep this stuff in mind!...what they say is true..."take what you THINK it will cost you and atleast double that figure"!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bazzman, that helps some.

Does anyone else know what other cars i can start searching for?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
You can swap any PI motors in your bird, but a lot of guys try and go with a explorer block because of the weight savings off the front end. Do a search, a lot of info on the boards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can swap any PI motors in your bird, but a lot of guys try and go with a explorer block because of the weight savings off the front end. Do a search, a lot of info on the boards.
when i was searching for a suitable engine for my project i found that the late model explorer engines had just as many miles or more than my engine!...and they still wanted an arm and a leg for them!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Guys.

I just bought an '04 explorer motor, 75,000 miles.

I live in OKC and will be swapping at my dad's shop in Dallas so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row.

I have been reading many posts trying to get a handle on everything and came up with a question. My current '96 NPI motor has the aluminum crossover with the holes for the sensors. If my exploder motor has an aluminum crossover as well can't I just unbolt and swap them? This will get me past the running of all the heater hose? Then I can just put my climate control sensor on the coolant tube at the back of the engine? ANyone know if all the 04 PI's came with an aluminum crossover?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks,
JonFrank

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you could possibly if you cant. just take it off and drill and tap it. you'll end up replacing the cheapy plastic intake manifold at some point anyways.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Yeah I'm really excited about the motor. I got it shipped to the door for $700, I can't complain!

Thats good to know about the crossover. Will this save me a few headaches of the coolant line issues if a go that route?

Also, just out of sheer curiosity, do the plastic crossovers unbolt from the rest of the manifold as well or is it molded?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put a 03 GM motor in my car and all that I had to swap over was the oil pan, oil pick up, motor mounts, and exhaust manifolds. The timing covers on those engines have all the bolt holes that you need to put the coil packs and other acc. parts on. You will need to get a serp belt for whatever year crown vic/GM motor though, and route it for that year car. With those cars the cam sensor and the crank sensor are the same for the Thunderbird so it will be just plug and play. I got my motor for $1250 with only 23000 miles on it.

Just to let you know I have a 95 Thunderbird. Also I got a good deal on a new TB, elbow, and cold air intake to make the top of the engine work in my car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats sounds like an ideal situation autoxbird. I am really excited about the aluminum block though...just in case. I wish I was all plug and play. i'll will have to change the timing cover with a 94/95, pan, pickup, blah, blah blah. But I am curious about the cam and crank sensors. Hopefully a guru will chime in with wisdom.
Anyone with 04 explorer swaps, Any wiring connections different? I didn't get a harness, sadly.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can I get a confirmation on the wiring harness? Please guys.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yes reuse your stock harness, if the new engine has more sensors than your harness does it make no difference really, your pcm most likely won't be able to read the sensor anyway. My 02 explorer engine had knock sensors which I couldn't use.... As far as the sensors that you can read if the plug is different just swap yours over, shouldn't have to though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts