TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If I remember correctly the Mustang PI manifold does have the coolant port in the back of the manifold.So no need to run extra hose if you go that route.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yep, just had a Mustang Intake put in my car, had to have the crossover tapped but thats cheap and easy.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well the motor swap is finished and everything is great!!

The car's front end actually lifts up in the air now. Maybe cuz its 90+lbs lighterwith a lot more horsies

One thing i did learn.....dont re-use the factory hose clamps

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Race time !!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I moved it here to 4.6 in addition to sticky. Not that anyone reads the stickies...

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If the 02-05 explorer motor and the 99-04 mustang motor were both out the vehicle they would put out the SAME power. People think the explorer motor is slower than the mustang motor seeing how from the factory the explorer had 235ish horsepower and the mustang had 260. The ONLY reasons why the mustang had more is because of more aggressive ecu tuning and true dual exhaust. The explorers are underpowered ecu wise AND have single restrictive exhaust which has lots of bends. The only reason why its smarter to go with the explorer motor is cuz is about 90lbs+ lighter than an iron 4.6 ie: the mustang motor. The cranks on the explorers are designed after if not related to the lower end cobra blocks. Cobras and explorers are the ONLY 4.6 blocks with 6-bolt main crank caps to handle more abuse. The iron blocks have 4-bolt mains.

So STOP saying the explorer swap isnt a feasable swap!! lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
so i take it i should look into the 4.6 not the 4.0 SOHC? Do the engines from greenleafauto come damn near complete or what are the unlisted items that i would need to get?

·
Registered
157 Posts
alright thats who ill go with then for the 4.6 lifes good i thought theyd be a little more but hey i like saving money

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
man, sounds complicated.
i did mine waaay back when. i used a 99 mustang engine (note this was done in 2001 prior to the explorer getting the al block 4.6) so thats why i used what i used.
things to swap over, oil pan, pickup tube, oil filter adapter, oil dipstick tube, coil packs, plugwires, upper intake, tb, exhaust manifolds. youll swap over the motor mounts, but youll need to grind them some to clear the casting on the block.
new things youll need, 6 bolt flexplate, and bolts.

i know im missing somthing, ill update this again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the 02-05 explorer motor and the 99-04 mustang motor were both out the vehicle they would put out the SAME power. People think the explorer motor is slower than the mustang motor seeing how from the factory the explorer had 235ish horsepower and the mustang had 260. The ONLY reasons why the mustang had more is because of more aggressive ecu tuning and true dual exhaust. The explorers are underpowered ecu wise AND have single restrictive exhaust which has lots of bends. The only reason why its smarter to go with the explorer motor is cuz is about 90lbs+ lighter than an iron 4.6 ie: the mustang motor. The cranks on the explorers are designed after if not related to the lower end cobra blocks. Cobras and explorers are the ONLY 4.6 blocks with 6-bolt main crank caps to handle more abuse. The iron blocks have 4-bolt mains.

So STOP saying the explorer swap isnt a feasable swap!! lol
Actually the 4.6 I got out of a Crown Vic Police Interceptor has the 6 bolt mains aswell but it is iron... and you can use the timing cover that is on it.

I just did my second swap with this engine this weekend.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Can it be added that all PI heads are the same. Whether it's from a Mustang, Explorer, Crown Victoria, Mountaineer, or Grand Marquis, they're the same heads? At least, that's what I have been told.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yes, that can be added. And not only that, but ALL PI heads are the same.. as in there is no right or left. The castings are identical. They don't become "right or left" until the cam, the tensioner, and other bolt on items are added. So they can be swapped right to left easily.

21 - 40 of 141 Posts