TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 80 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
It's only easy to change if it hasn't been "welded" to the block with corrosion. It took a BFH to seperate the water pump from the block on my 4.6L, and the pump cracked in 3 different places during this removal "procedure".

i totally second that.....when i was trying to replace mine, i was like W..T...F!!!! this sucker wont budge...broke several of the mounting tabs off...and then i was like F-it....smashed a flat-head between the pump and the block....i knew i wasnt gonna do anything to the block, it being iron and all...and finally it broke loose......but it was worth the piece of mind to have a pretty much new pump in there

if you can find a '02 or newer pump AND pulley out of a parted-out 2V 4.6, then grab it....the longer-shaft pumps from mid-01 and older are, obviously, getting older and older and harder to find in like-new condition...but people are always parting out mustangs, crown vics, grand marquis, towncars, etc, etc

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Yep the old pump has 120k on it so i am going to give it a go . Pics Below of Pump have know clue as to make or good or bad .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,
My buddy and I are looking into doing the headswap on my 96 bird. I'm looking at some heads from an 01 GT. Are there any differences in bolt patterns between the two or do I need to check part numbers?

Btw, how much are the 94/95 timing covers going for?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Just a quick question guys ....is it imperative that the intake bolts be torqued to Ford specifications?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Chris How did you reroute the hose under the Pi intake ? Took me awhile but i think i have it right

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
It's only easy to change if it hasn't been "welded" to the block with corrosion. It took a BFH to seperate the water pump from the block on my 4.6L, and the pump cracked in 3 different places during this removal "procedure".
When I did my first 4.6 water pump my car had really rusty coolant. It had ruined the heater core and it had corroded half of all the pump impellers away from corrosion. I did have to use a hammer to get it loose. But I just kept tapping it all the way around the pump until it came loose. Its a little bit of a challenge, but I've definitely done worse jobs than that.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
it is, i believe its 18ft lbs
I used an in/lb torque wrench and did them at 20 ft/lbs (well the in/lb equivalent of 20 ft/lbs.) My ft/lb torque wrench barely even clicked set at 20 ft/lbs.

·
5,650 Posts
Chris How did you reroute the hose under the Pi intake ? Took me awhile but i think i have it right
I used the actual PI coolant tube. It exits on the opposite side of the intake as the original setup but you can use couplers, or you can just run rubber hose underneath.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
The way i am feeling lately I take my sweet time :) Fell down the stairs in my house last night and cracked my tailbone Owch !!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Yep she lives nice :) She will haul the mail one or 2 or 3 steps closer now :) Thank you much guys for all the info and help and kind words :thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
getting pi swap done on my 96 thunderbird,i didnt get the 94/95 timing cover,i was told to get longer bolts didnt know bout the timing cover is it true i can use longer bolts or do i need to order that timing cover now

61 - 80 of 141 Posts