TCCoA Forums banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
As far as I know, you only need the different front cover for the explorer swap. I did a complete heads/intake PI swap on my car and used the original 97 front cover.

getting pi swap done on my 96 thunderbird,i didnt get the 94/95 timing cover,i was told to get longer bolts didnt know bout the timing cover is it true i can use longer bolts or do i need to order that timing cover now

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i've got some questions

so today i just bought a set of pi windsor heads with valve covers spark plugs in them and the pi manifold.

now i've searched and read the pi swap articles.

1.) i want to know if there are any holes different from the romeo heads ie oil holes or coolant holes. im not worried about the valve covers as i got them in the package.

2.) also i read this in the swap tech article but no one mentions it but i have a 97 sport 4.6 will i need the newer "style" dipstick tube? it sasy you do but no one is mentioning it.

3.) can i swap over the aluminum cross over from my old manifold to avoid having to drill and tap a 3/4 hole for the second coolant sensor? i read something about swapping over the coolant crossovers to avoid having to do that but i could have misunderstood it.

4.) will i have to have a tune? i know this increases compression quite a bit to something like 10.5/1. so i assume there will be some detonation but if i run premium can i avoid having to tune it for the heads?

5.) what is the recomended gap for the sparkplugs with the new pi heads?.

6.) is there any special things im missing?:tongue:

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I used my old dipstick with Windsor heads its fine . I agree with everything master486 said .

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
sweeeet

i went shopping for head gaskets but i don't know which ones to get summit seems to have really good prices anyone have some suggestions for me.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Buy the ford head changing kit it includes new gaskets and bolts and dipstick tube all for an affordable price

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Buy the ford head changing kit it includes new gaskets and bolts and dipstick tube all for an affordable price
thanks just looked it up thats not a bad price at all. im going to redo all the gaskets.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
I'm about to undertake the intake swap myself in a couple months, everything I think I have straightened out except the issue regarding the coolant temp. lockout sensor for the SATC. I've been combing through articles I found through Google and here on the forums and all I seem to find is people saying it needs to be addressed - no details or (my favorite) pics. I don't quite understand how or why it needs to be relocated; I can't really see where it screws into on the car with everything in the way. What extra parts do I need to get it "relocated" properly? I suppose I could just find out when I get there, but I prefer to know what I'm getting into before I get into it.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
I'm not even using that sensor, but heres the issue if you want to keep it...

Its attached to the old valley heater tube via a fitting, the PI tubes dont have this fitting. So what you do is cut the stock tube 1-1/2" to 2" after the fitting (on the valley side, not the heater core side) flare the end, and run a rubber hose from the PI tube to the flared stock tube.

This will also allow the heater core hose to fit like its supposed to

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Hm, I see... basically like replacing the end of the PI tube (which doesn't have the fitting) with the end of the NPI tube - which has the fitting.

·
Super Moderator
16,754 Posts
Yup.

I'd like to add, if you use the PI tube from the mustang, only the stock tube needs to be cut and flared, just add the hose. If you use the crown vic PI tube, it needs to be cut and flared as well.

So if you can, get the mustang tube. I only mentioned the crown vic one because they are easy to find at yards :D

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
I was able to get the old manifold off tonight, no thanks to the stupid EGR tube being in the way. Should take it off and have it out of the way or should I just work around it like I have been?

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
I was able to get the old manifold off tonight, no thanks to the stupid EGR tube being in the way. Should take it off and have it out of the way or should I just work around it like I have been?
is that the hard tube going to the black rectangular box...or is it the hard tube going from the right side head to the intake tube?

also i see people going back and forth about the timing cover specifically with the 96/97 timing covers. now i see some people are saying you need the 94/95 then people saying longer bolts and then people saying you don't need didly...now im a bit confused:confused:. can i just use the stock timing with out longer bolts or what?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If the 02-05 explorer motor and the 99-04 mustang motor were both out the vehicle they would put out the SAME power. People think the explorer motor is slower than the mustang motor seeing how from the factory the explorer had 235ish horsepower and the mustang had 260. The ONLY reasons why the mustang had more is because of more aggressive ecu tuning and true dual exhaust. The explorers are underpowered ecu wise AND have single restrictive exhaust which has lots of bends. The only reason why its smarter to go with the explorer motor is cuz is about 90lbs+ lighter than an iron 4.6 ie: the mustang motor. The cranks on the explorers are designed after if not related to the lower end cobra blocks. Cobras and explorers are the ONLY 4.6 blocks with 6-bolt main crank caps to handle more abuse. The iron blocks have 4-bolt mains.

-Mike

im looking at swapping out the full motor and found the Explorer motor is ALOT cheaper then the mustang motor.. so in order to get the full 260hp out of the Explorer V8 all you need is free flowing exhaust and a tune?

You will need a 94/95 v8 front timing cover seeing how one of the stud holes on the 96+ cover wont line up correctly or seal.
why cannt I use the front timing cover off the PI motor? clearance issues?

·
Registered
89 Posts
okay, i been considering this swap, my question is, would the mustang blower bolt on into this or no? (the explorer engine)
they way i see it, if im going for it, might as well go all the way.
or are issues with that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Electrical harness

im looking at swapping out the full motor and found the Explorer motor is ALOT cheaper then the mustang motor.. so in order to get the full 260hp out of the Explorer V8 all you need is free flowing exhaust and a tune?
Found this to be an extremely helpful post... A question I have, and I thought might be best addressed with the rest of this thread is,
"Do the later engine mod's harness wire into the big harness with the bolt together connector on the passenger side shock tower without modification?"

I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but I just replaced intake gaskets on my '95 4.6L due to coolant leaks, and thought an engine swap may be in my future due to certain obsolecence issues. I know from reading here that the upper components on the newer engines will have to be changed due to intake and throttle body differences. Is anyone aware of wiring issues for 95's wanting to use later model engines?

Thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts

PI Engine acquired, I'm just going to use the heads though. XR7-4.6 is getting the block.

I have the plastic intake w/ alum crossover as well as the other valve cover gasket, alt bracket, etc... it just isn't in this photo.

I'll see if I can add anything to the swap thread later on...

81 - 100 of 141 Posts