TCCoA Forums banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts
thats what was said like two weeks ago.....lol
It was an adventure. I posted this pic of the engine because initially I tried to transport it in too small of a vehicle...this almost didn't happen but late last night we finally got the explorer up and running well enough to pick up the engine. I'm probably delirious after the several hour ordeal and I apologize for the double-post.

I'm just seriously happy to get this over & done with.

Reactions: BobLewisPhoto
If he is ever un-banned, I'm sure he will appreciate the sentiment.

I am so glad this thread was wrote.. Its gunna help me big time! I just pulled an 02 explorer motor for $500 after I test ran the motor! :D it ran great and can't wait to get it under the birds hood! :)

Jamie I know you are going to have so much fun with your swap. LOL

I am gunna have fun! All I need is a few more parts, and a little bit more money and its happenin! Lol

I just have a quick question a 2005 expedition engine 4.6 Is p.I. and. If could fit in a 95 Thunderbird? ??

You will need to use a different intake though. Not enough hood clearance for the one on any truck motors.

ok is because I pull my engine out "thanks to a egr brass pipe I broke from the exhaust " so I decide to regasket the whole engine cuz is oily mess and I was reading about p.I. upgrades so I found a 05 expedition 4.6 in a local junkyard so do you think is a good choice?

If I understand the question right.... yes, the expedition will give you a good block and heads. But you will need to find a PI intake from a car (or explorer) as the Expedition has a Truck intake that will not fit under your low hood.

its a good choice I suppose.. Just get a mustang pi intake, throttle body/neck, 02gt or so intake tube, 02+gt MAF, use your oil pan, oil filter adapter, 94/5 timing cover, and check the timing chain guides/tensioners! They aren't the greatest on the newer modular motors!! I'm sure I'm missing a few bits of info.. But the other guys will help in with words lol

Thanks guys I really appreciate all your help I was reading other posts about p.I. and I found the explorer. Engine is a aluminum block what is the advantage if I just get the heads and keep the iron block or what can I do to improve my stock heads this is the first time I tear apart a ford engine so any help is welcome I'm going to try to get a post of all my work with pictures as soon I found how to do it.

The Aluminum Explorer engine is a complete PI engine. Its main advantage over other PI engines is that it is aluminum and therefore lighter. You can put PI heads on an iron NPI block. (My car is done that way) The advantage there is NPI block + PI heads = higher compression ratio. (you also won't need to swap out the front cover, won't need an engine hoist, etc.)

Since this has to do with the Explorer swap I will keep it here. Its come along way from some of the older posts I've been reading on people wanting 300 rwhp and how difficult it can be to reach it without nos or FI. While that would be a nice number to acheive im not in a hurry to get there unlike the mistake I made with the failed DOHC swap I did. We had a weekend to get that one done with just a donar car and nothing else. Im starting with a 96/97 bird this time just to make it that much easier. The Explorer motor will most likely spend alot of time on the stand. I will even have a Birds harness pluged up to it before putting it in. This is gonna be my daily driver so reliability is my upmost concern so no half a$$ing on this one. Im doing whatever mods are easiest before the motor goes in so my question is about getting as close as I can to 300 if not reaching it with the Explorer motor as the starting platform. Most I've read has talked about using the original motor as the starting point. Anyone have a close guess with these following mods? Explorer motor 02-03, longtubes with 2.5 true duals x-pipe and no cats, 02 GT MAF, cams (your suggestions), good tune from Don, UD pullies, ported bullitt intake (if I can find one), CAI. Of course it will have some supporting mods such as 3200 tc, 3.90 gears with traclok, aluminum one peice ds and 02 GM trans as well as MSD ignition. Just like to hear your guys opinions. Thanks.

Since this has to do with the Explorer swap I will keep it here. Its come along way from some of the older posts I've been reading on people wanting 300 rwhp and how difficult it can be to reach it without nos or FI. While that would be a nice number to acheive im not in a hurry to get there unlike the mistake I made with the failed DOHC swap I did. We had a weekend to get that one done with just a donar car and nothing else. Im starting with a 96/97 bird this time just to make it that much easier. The Explorer motor will most likely spend alot of time on the stand. I will even have a Birds harness pluged up to it before putting it in. This is gonna be my daily driver so reliability is my upmost concern so no half a$$ing on this one. Im doing whatever mods are easiest before the motor goes in so my question is about getting as close as I can to 300 if not reaching it with the Explorer motor as the starting platform. Most I've read has talked about using the original motor as the starting point. Anyone have a close guess with these following mods? Explorer motor 02-03, longtubes with 2.5 true duals x-pipe and no cats, 02 GT MAF, cams (your suggestions), good tune from Don, UD pullies, ported bullitt intake (if I can find one), CAI. Of course it will have some supporting mods such as 3200 tc, 3.90 gears with traclok, aluminum one peice ds and 02 GM trans as well as MSD ignition. Just like to hear your guys opinions. Thanks.
You'll have a hard time getting to 300rwhp with an Explorer block/heads without some kind of boost. You still have that DOHC around to use the Teksid block and lower end? Check out this article: http://modularheadshop.com/Articles/300RWHP 2V combo.htm

That I do Net. I was thinkin about that block but didnt know if the compression would be to high for a daily driver. That looked like a pretty good website as well. Thanks. I know I would have to run premium ut what about possible damage to anything when pushing it?

That I do Net. I was thinkin about that block but didnt know if the compression would be to high for a daily driver. That looked like a pretty good website as well. Thanks. I know I would have to run premium ut what about possible damage to anything when pushing it?
If you have a good tune, you should be fine. You know the new Coyote 5.0L engines have 11:1 compression from the factory and claim to be safe to run on 87 octane!

If you build that Teksid bottom end with PI heads like in the article, you have to run aftermarket cams because that will lower the 'dynamic compression' because of the cam overlap. That's what makes it safe to run that higher compression on pump gas (with the tune, of course).

Hey guys idk if this is a stupid question or not but ive been searching for two nights now i just havent scene a answere for it anywhere. I dont know much about transmissions, so what im asking is will the factoty 95 Tbird tranny work with the PI Explorer enginge swap? Thanks -Paul

101 - 120 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.