TCCoA Forums banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts
If the 95 is a 4.6 mod motor and your swapping in an Explorer 4.6 PI aluminum block engine, then yes, they are a match. All mod motors have the same transmission bolt pattern EXCEPT the 92 bastard block in the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car (and 91 Town Car).

If the 95 is a 4.6 mod motor and your swapping in an Explorer 4.6 PI aluminum block engine, then yes, they are a match. All mod motors have the same transmission bolt pattern EXCEPT the 92 bastard block in the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car (and 91 Town Car).

98 Mark VIII or 99+ Mustang or civilan CVs. The intermediate 1 way clutch and converter in the 94/5 transmissions are on borrowed time in performance applications.
Okay Great, Thanks for all the info guys.:D

Obviously, the FWD versions of these blocks will not fit.

The Lincoln Continental is a good source of heads, however. :)

Obviously, the FWD versions of these blocks will not fit.

The Lincoln Continental is a good source of heads, however. :)
I'm surprised they aren't more popular for this. 99-02s are common yard sights yet you never see the engines leave them until the yard finally crushes the body. With my local yard prices you can get their C heads $130-140 a pair when all is said and done.

Those Continentals are surprisingly easy to tear down as well. Despite the assumption that a 90* DOHC being transversely mounted in a Taurus engine bay would be a nightmare to work on, it's surprisingly easy. Way easier than any RWD modular(seriously!). Granted I've only gone as far as pulling the valve covers off of them, but that was a breeze, on both sides. Can anyone say that about pulling 4V covers from a FN10 or SN95? Thusly, I can't imagine the heads would be bad at all. Definitely not bank 2 at least.

cool i appreciate it

im going to do a rebuild and I don't know if im going to push on doing a full pi swap or just do heads and intake. im not worried about money,im more worried on time. im also trying to see what is going to pull more power.

Hi guys,
I have a 95 Tbrd that may need a manifold but there aren't any available so I'm considering swapping the 02 Explorer engine. It seems that Greenleaf is no more and the rebuilt engines that I can find dont have the intake on them. How do I know if I would need to get the Dorman 615-175 (Does not work with coolant heated PCV engines.) or the Dorman 615-775?

Thanks, Bob

Hi guys,
I have a 95 Tbrd that may need a manifold but there aren't any available so I'm considering swapping the 02 Explorer engine. It seems that Greenleaf is no more and the rebuilt engines that I can find dont have the intake on them. How do I know if I would need to get the Dorman 615-175 (Does not work with coolant heated PCV engines.) or the Dorman 615-775?

Thanks, Bob
Don't get a dorman. They don't have the benefits of a full PI intake. I have the OEM intake off my Explorer swap you can have for shipping costs, has 180K on it, or you can get an FRPP PI intake for about $250 or so from any go fast part supplier. You can also avoid the eventual brittling and replacement you'll need for the plastic intake by getting a Typhoon or Trick Flow intake manifold as they are metal.

If you want mine, send me a PM and I'll get you pictures/shipping info.

Reactions: BobLewisPhoto
Don't get a dorman. They don't have the benefits of a full PI intake. I have the OEM intake off my Explorer swap you can have for shipping costs, has 180K on it, or you can get an FRPP PI intake for about $250 or so from any go fast part supplier. You can also avoid the eventual brittling and replacement you'll need for the plastic intake by getting a Typhoon or Trick Flow intake manifold as they are metal.

If you want mine, send me a PM and I'll get you pictures/shipping info.
Woodman,
Thanks for the generous offer and info. I'll let you know if I go ahead and get one of these engines and need the intake. I'm debating the cost of the job vs getting a different car. My car would still have rusty brake lines, heater core that could blow at any time, no ac and worn out drivers seat...
On the other hand a replacement would be in the 10-15K range and who knows what problems it would have :-(

Would my hood close over the PI intake?
The stock throttle body from 95 tbrd works on the 2002 engine with PI intake?

I found this video about putting the PI intake on non PI heads. It may be useful to others reading this...

Thanks!

OK, I got it. Thanks!
I may have my original 97 throttle body as well I can throw in. I can look if you're interested. It will need a gasket. For some reason, someone earlier than me replaced the gasket with duct tape... I have a new 75mm throttle body and enlarged C&L Upper plenum on my engine.

I may have my original 97 throttle body as well I can throw in. I can look if you're interested. It will need a gasket. For some reason, someone earlier than me replaced the gasket with duct tape... I have a new 75mm throttle body and enlarged C&L Upper plenum on my engine.
Thank you, that's very generous. I might just replace the gasket if the manifold is OK. It's leaking near the thermostat housing and filling the plug hole with coolant.

I've read here that the EGR on the 95 is a real Pia. If it's that bad and totally plugged why not just cut it off?

About the original 95 manifold, the coolant nipple on the back for the heater core looks badly corroded. Are they known to break and can that area be drilled and tapped for a new fitting? I know that you recommend changing to the 96 style. I'm hoping to save mostly time and some money if I can keep the original manifold. This is my only car so I cant be without it for long. I also cant do the work myself because I have a medical issue that limits what I can do (a lot). Most mechanics are reluctant to do any mods like changing the manifold to another year.

Is there a way to receive a notification when people reply to my messages? I just set automatic thread subscription. Will that do it?

Thanks!

Thank you, that's very generous. I might just replace the gasket if the manifold is OK. It's leaking near the thermostat housing and filling the plug hole with coolant.

I've read here that the EGR on the 95 is a real Pia. If it's that bad and totally plugged why not just cut it off?
I've never had a 95. EGR is overall beneficial to both power and economy, I'd try and fix it if possible. If not, blocking it is relatively easy, and it's not that big a deal.
About the original 95 manifold, the coolant nipple on the back for the heater core looks badly corroded. Are they known to break and can that area be drilled and tapped for a new fitting? I know that you recommend changing to the 96 style. I'm hoping to save mostly time and some money if I can keep the original manifold. This is my only car so I cant be without it for long. I also cant do the work myself because I have a medical issue that limits what I can do (a lot). Most mechanics are reluctant to do any mods like changing the manifold to another year.

Is there a way to receive a notification when people reply to my messages? I just set automatic thread subscription. Will that do it?

Thanks!
You can subscribe to the thread and it'll ask you how you want notified.

The 96-97 intake is better than the 94-95, but you'd be even better off upgrading to a 99-04 PI intake. Yes, you can use PTV to fill in the unused coolant ports, and it'll bolt right on provided you have 96-97 fuel rails. Putting PI heads on at the same time will be an even better upgrade.

Reactions: BobLewisPhoto
121 - 140 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.