TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So the stock heads detonated on me... and since the PI heads were cheaper than stock replacements, I have a couple of quick questions...

Do the new PI heads come with the CAM gears installed on them, or do I have to transplant the cam gears off the stock heads?

If I do need to put the gears onto the new cams, how difficult a process is it?

Do I need any special tools to do it?

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if you are buying PI head assemblies from Ford, they do not come with cam gears...you re-use yours....once you put the heads on and put the timing chains back on, there are a few ways you can tighten the cam bolts that hold the gears...you can either buy the ford tool that plugs into the back of the camshaft to hold it in place on the head (expensive) in order to torque down the cam bolt to the required 90 ft*lbs or whatever it is.....or you can put a 3/8" extension in one of the holes in the passenger side cam gear to keep the whole thing from moving when you torque the cam bolts down.....one way or another you have to keep it from moving---otherwise the bolt won't tighten and you'll just be turning the whole rotating assembly

alternative ways (harder IMO), would be to have someone hold the crankpulley bolt with a large enough ratchet/breaker bar, or use a flexplate hole through the tc inspection hole with something to hold the flexplate (and thus the whole rotating assembly) in place

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I installed my cam gears I used a big crescent wrench to grab ahold of the flats in the middle of the camshaft and held it there while I torqued the cam gear bolt tight. Not the correct way to do it persay, but it worked well for me. Just make sure you line up the timing marks correctly when you do all this so you dont get any further damage. There is a great write up at the Modular Head Shop website on how to do it all. Good luck. Jim

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My bad your right. Disregard what I said. I forgot mine were aftermarket cams, and I just looked at the stock ones I have in my garage, nothing there. I thought the flat spots on my cams were where the ford cam holding tool mounted to so I thought they were on all of em, they aren't. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My camshafts do NOT have bolts in them. The gears are pressed on. No keyways on the camshaft for alignment of new gears, etc. They have a weird internal spline pattern in the end of the shafts.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
That would mean you have Windsor cams. They should work on both Windsor and Romeo heads, the biggest difference in heads I believe is the number of bolts on the valve covers (11 Romeo, 13/14 Windsor).

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so with the PI cams, I would need to get Cam gears then? Sorry, noob on the head swap stuff...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you have a set of PI heads with a set of PI cams that have cam gears pressed on them already, your all set. You should just be able to bolt them on to the motor along with the other parts needed for a PI headswap upgrade as detailed numerous times all over this site and your good to go, you dont need anything else for the swap. Just be sure you get the valve covers that go with those windsor heads you have, the bolt pattern is different from your stock valve covers.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, anyone have a set of stock valve covers and stock Cam Gears?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ok now I'm confused. Stock gears and stock valve covers, stock to what??

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you got a set of PI heads that came with PI cams with gears pressed on, then all you need are the valve covers to match those heads. That is all.
I think there is an echo in here lol. Seriously though I highly suggest reading through the information for in this post here http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=10665 And the if the information we have given doesnt make sense or you still arent sure what to do ask again. We want to help really, but I think somewhere along the way something is getting lost in translation. Either you dont understand what we are saying or we arent understanding what your asking for. :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
If he doesn't, hopefully this clarifies:

Your sig states you have PI cams. I assume they're already installed. If so, swap them to your new PI heads because they already have their gears, otherwise they weren't installed in your car.
If you don't have the PI cams installed, and they have no gears, then use your old cam gears from your 97 cams. If the PI cams use press on gears, then the gears should already be there and do not need to be changed.
Either way, you don't need cam gears.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I dont think it can get any clearer than that as to what to do about the gear situation. For valve covers use the valve covers that come with the PI heads. If they dont come with valve covers and the part of the head where the cam bolts into isn't identical to the heads already on your car, you will need to find a set of Winsdor valve covers. If they are identical, you can reuse the valve covers that are already on your engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts