TCCoA Forums banner

PI heads vs. complete engine

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  17Mark71 
#1 ·
I've read a lot of people swapping to the PI haeds. The cost for complete heads and all the stuff to swap is like $1000? I have checked several local junkyards and have found complete 00-02 mustang gt engines for $1200-1300. Wouldn't it make more sense to spend a little more and get the other goodies like the MAF, COP, and a block that has less miles by getting the whole engine? Does anyone else agree or am I missing something? :zdunno:

#2 ·
The issue with that is, is the assembly warrenteed, getting it to start (I replaced my dead 96 with a 97 and it still took me 2 weeks to get going and I had 2 of most every part) and the EEC.

#4 ·
Ok, so if I found a late model gt engine in good condition and th eec to go with it, then it should be a direct swap or will there be issues with the oil pan or the eec controlling the 96 style return fuel system?

#5 ·
I would recomend a 01 and up crown victoria motor. It is the exactly the same motor as the mustang gt. Since it came out of a crown vic it is not as likely to be abused and more likely to be cheaper. This is another avantage you can reuse your front cover on your 96-97 bird. If you got a explorer motor you would have to get a 94-95 tbird front cover. Be sure to folow the service manual on the front cover install espiccaly with the harmonic balancer. Do not use a hammer to install it go to a tool place and get a harmonic balancer install tool. Go to ford and buy a new harmonic balancer bolt it is only a couple of bucks compared to taking a chance that the reused harmonic balancer bolt fails. People say you can reuse the harmonic balancer bolt 4 times but I would not be cheap it could cost you snifitangly if you do.

#6 ·
blown96bird said:
...If you got a explorer motor you would have to get a 94-95 tbird front cover
What is a front cover?

#10 ·
Cruzer said:
What are the differences in the front covers between the models? The other engines have lower hp ratings, does anyoneone know what the differences between them are?
If you get a Vic or a Mustang motor, you can reuse your current timing cover. If you got an Explorer motor, you'd need a '94-95 cover. The bolt pattern is not the same between the blocks.

The horsepower ratings are insignificant and meaningless, the differences are due to things like tuning, exhaust, cooling fan (electric vs. mechanical), etc. For all intents and purposes a CV, Mustang, and Explorer motor will all make the same power in a MN12, although the Explorer motor will be 83 lb lighter.

#13 ·
How long did it take for you guys to do the swap? (& how much?)

I have seen alot of posts saying its quick but like 2-5 hours quick?

Thanks

#15 ·
People who mod the 4.6 TBird do so because they just like the motor and the car it comes in, not because it's a cheap and quick motor to work on.

Not to burst your bubble, but if you want an inexpensive hot rod that you can work on during weekends, honestly, buy a 5.0 car. If you want to spend way too much money and time on a head swap for 20-30 hp, you own the right car!

#16 ·
Yea if you don't own the car dont bother :) I own mine yay! But anyways.. Headswaps take maybe total of 20 hours. Which you can push it out in a weekend if you know somwhat what your doing. Its basic taking of and puttig on, minus timing. Simple enough just takes time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.