TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just blew a head gasket in a 95 merc. cougar now I am having some problems deciding but how much would I be looking at for a pi head swap and what parts would I need for it, would I need to tun the computer any or can I get away without it.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
You need a pi intake and ford head changing kit . If you get Windsor heads then you need to top 8 front cover bolts and valve covers .
You don't need to have a tune but it helps .

BTW , I have a 97 EEC-V with a tune for pi heads and 80mm lightning maf for
sale .

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
You have a 95 so you'll need more than just the intake. There is a list somewhere here of all the parts for a PI swap on a 95. You'll need the newer style EGR tube, the upper plenum, TB, basically all the parts that bolt to the newer style intake (the parts mentioned, the fuel rails, etc.)

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well from having tuned a bunch of cars and not just speaking from the perspective of only one instance, I am going to have to say that I have to have to respectfully disagree with you about not needing a tune.

I can speak from great experience here. Often the issue isn't the tune. You don't know how often I have had to get people to drive here so that I can sort out their car. I have the stuff to run it and log everything and track down the trouble. I end up doing that a lot when the people are closer to me than they are to their tuner.

The best tune in the world won't correct for an issue in the vehicle.

Please don't take that the wrong way. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with anything of yours. I have just seen much different things to have a much different opiniion is all. You don't have to get a tune, but you should if you want to take full advantage of your investment.

Darrin

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be doing the work myself I did 2 scs head gaskets I really dont see it being to hard I am just worried about the cams and I really would like to do a pi swap but I am still thinking on it, because I wont be doing a tune for at least a year

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Don't get me wrong there either, you dont need a tune for this swap to work. What I am saying is that if you want to get the most out of your work then a tune will show you that.

From my experiences, the tune is well worth it. Not required, but well worth it.

I am guilty of not paying attention to what was said above I think. I saw the gain from one situation used as example and focused on that extra information. My reply looks very different from what I meant it to now that I look at it again in that light. I am not disagreeing with the idea that you don't need a tune for this swap to work just fine. It will work without a tune.

I think his real point is that you don't need a tune for this to work and I completely agree on that.

Darrin

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Darrin , I agree with everything you said . To get the best out of the swap you
do need a tune .

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have PI heads, intake, fuel rails, injectors, plenum, intake tube/airbox and K&N filter for sale. Was going to use for another project but decided to go a different way. I do not have enough posts to list in classifieds. These heads are immaculate, with less than 30K miles on them from an '01 Mustang GT. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Just blew a head gasket in a 95 merc. cougar now I am having some problems deciding but how much would I be looking at for a pi head swap and what parts would I need for it, would I need to tun the computer any or can I get away without it.
Where to begin.....

You need PI heads either pull them at a yard, buy them new online, buy them used price is going to vary between $95 and $450 each

You need the PI intake with aluminum cross over, buy it new, used, pull it from a yard either way its going to vary between $25 and $150

You need PI intake gaskets about $20

You need the Ford 4.6 cylinder head changing kit about $115 (includes head gaskets, head bolts, oil dip stick, etc..)

You need the fuel rails, injectors, throttle body, IAC, tps, egr, egr tube, and whatever other 96-97 thunderbird/cougar top end parts. (I strongly recommend a good junkyard for these parts because it will be cheaper as well as the egr tube isn't availible new anymore)

You also must make sure that due to coolant in your crankcase that none of the bearings were washed out and scarred... if you don't check them you are purely guessing that they are good.

with this swap on a high milage car I recommend new timing chains and chain guides

I belive Jason also has a list for this swap somewhere just search for it.

And last but not least as Darrin has already been nice enough to explain, it doesn't need a tune to run and drive but to get the most out of all of your hard work you should invest in one.

Any other questions please let me know.

Again sorry I couldn't reply to this thread earlier I was on vacation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts