TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im doing the whole 99 PI head swap on my 4.6 and the shop has had my car for like 3 weeks now... im also getting a set of headers 3.73 rear a chip and a custom intake tube so my filter will be behind my fog light hole... anyways has anyone done this i wanna know if they had any problems wit it thanx

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Be carefull if it is infact right behind the fog light hole. That is pretty low and you might see some water getting sucked up. If its up in the fender that is better. The other mods many have done them before. So you should be happy with it. What chip are you going with? Here is a list of TCCoA recommended chips:
apten-us.com
reinhartautomotive.com
Fordchip.com
rffperformance.com

Good luck and let us know how it turns out when its done.

-Shawn

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I agree I would recomend against the filter down there unless you want to hydrolock your motor the next time you drive through a deep puddle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this car isnt drivin in weather anymore... and im going with a custom burned chip from the shop im going to. also by November i plan on havin some NX runnin through it so i will definatly have some fun soon

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
xlithiumxq said:
this car isnt drivin in weather anymore... and im going with a custom burned chip from the shop im going to. also by November i plan on havin some NX runnin through it so i will definatly have some fun soon
Hope you have an engine rebuild fund handy. A headswap on a stock block is going to raise your compression to around 10.4:1 and with our weak internals, that ain't nitrous friendly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats that mean tho.. whats the right compression i would need to have to run nitrous and if i have that high of a compression wouldnt i be able to run like a 60-75 shot?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I'm not saying that it'll blow up the first time you spray it, but its only a ticking time bomb under those conditions. Its not the compression ratio so much (8-9:1 is ideal for pretty much everything from boost to spray) as our weak internals. The piston ring lands like to go girst, but if it decides to break hard enough, a rod and go and put a nice big hole in the side of the block.

Once again, a headswap is a wonderful way to go for power, so is nitrsou (if you know what you're doing), but a headswap plus nitrous on these stock internals won't last very long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for the info... im not disagreeing with you or anything but i talked to the guys at pro performance and they said it can hold wit a 100 shot nicely for almost 50 shots before i should stop using it

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
xlithiumxq said:
thanx for the info... im not disagreeing with you or anything but i talked to the guys at pro performance and they said it can hold wit a 100 shot nicely for almost 50 shots before i should stop using it
I'm not discrediting them, but did they take into account the serious change in compression ratio? And the whole "for at least 50 shots" is one of the biggest crap statements i've ever heard from people. Thats taking a shot in the dark, there are guys who've run a 125 shot on a stock motor (not high compression motor) time and again without problems, and then there's those that blow the motor the first time they hit the 75 shot. Its all in the tune. I'm just saying, have fun with it, I hope it lasts, but don't be a bit surprised when something in that shortblock decides to go pop. Nitrous won't make the engine wear out quick, it'll make it run hard until it breaks.

Also, hope I'm not sounding like a jackass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts