TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished Chris's 96 Cougar, 4.6 NPI, 4R70W trans, IRS. This is an unmodified plastic PI intake and PI cams, no other changes between these dyno pulls. Not exactly the peak difference I hoped to see, but still good. Power is +40 at the top end, fantastic for a $200 investment.

This car has an 02GT stock airbox/MAF/ziptube with paper filter and is tuned by me. Other than that the engine is 100% stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those are good #s for mostly stock with PI cams. Any idea if the Pi cams will work with '95 Heads/springs?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
No, they won't work, just get a set of '96+ heads, you can find them a dime a dozen, since most of the Mustang guys are doing PI swaps.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Good #'s KD... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
987 Posts
So his stock '96 with a GT tube/MAF tuned by you put down 197 hp? Would that qualify as a factory freak? Great numbers regardless...

Sam

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i'm curious...

great numbers, makes me happy when i look at it, and what i plan...

what is so special about the NPI intake that allows it to briefly outflow the pi intake and make more power/torque at 3000rpms??

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
jamesD said:
i'm curious...

great numbers, makes me happy when i look at it, and what i plan...

what is so special about the NPI intake that allows it to briefly outflow the pi intake and make more power/torque at 3000rpms??
either the dyno spiked just a little, or i'd say that's the RPM the factory manifold is 'tuned' to. either way the two intakes are pretty close up to 3600....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
well i wanna know how u make 197 at the tires on a stock motor im just curious cause if so that more than jls made he put down 199 with all his stuff beofre cams or anything so please give some info on this hotrod looks good those later

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
oh i almost forgot let us know some track times once some are got, nice numbers

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
This just further proves that the old style intake is a horrid restriction.
That car picked yup almost identical gains on the top end as my car did with the ported heads,etc,etc,etc...
And that car is doing well to begin with Rob-it's a strong one,like Ms. Tana's car is.
JL

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
RobertP said:
well i wanna know how u make 197 at the tires on a stock motor im just curious cause if so that more than jls made he put down 199 with all his stuff beofre cams or anything so please give some info on this hotrod looks good those later
I put down 196 w/ just a Hypertech, pulleys, and mufflers cut off about 1 1/2 years ago. Guy running the dyno kept letting off and trying different "techniques" becuae it kept hitting the speed limiter.
The key with that Cougar I imagine is Kdanners tuning abilities.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
slayer said:
So his stock '96 with a GT tube/MAF tuned by you put down 197 hp? Would that qualify as a factory freak? Great numbers regardless...

Sam
I'm assuming those numbers are both PI intake runs. The difference in the 19 horsepower between the two runs has to be tuning. Right?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Embalmer said:

I'm assuming those numbers are both PI intake runs. The difference in the 19 horsepower between the two runs has to be tuning. Right?
No,the 197 was stone-*** stock enginewise,with the '02 MAF,and the TFHS tune.
JL

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Embalmer said:

The blue graph is already tuned. The red graph is only the addition of the PI intake and cams, the tune was not altered, nor does it need to be.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Not trying to get you down or anything, but I was wondering the same thing. I know peak numbers aren't the only factor, but how did you your torque go down by almost 30?
I mean from what it looks like to me the hp/torque curves were almost the same, except that your readings for the first run ended early.

Edit: that "spike" at around 3900rpms is where it got the 283ftlbs torque (kind of a confusing chart), but how you would you get a spike gong backwards in rpm like that? Did they let off or something?

Get some drag times and that what help. Dyno #'s don't mean everything

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chrisnack said:
I just don't get it. Why are my numbers so low? I have everything that car has and more... and it was tuned by Jerry?????

Am i missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything, I looked at your site, I don't see anything listed that is known to really make power, things like pullies, TB, K&N do very little and in some cases nothing for power. Jerry did teach me how to tune, and the new software is so easy it makes me look better than I really am. I wouldn't even think of the 8HP difference as significant whatsoever considering it is 2 different dynos. Plus it does look like there were some dyno issues considering the backwards squiggle in both of your pulls.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I meant to mention also, the best part about this car is his total investment is only about $4200. This includes installing a whole new center section and trans, brake rotors/pads all around, even the race tires.

The car will go to the track soon. I don't think full potential will be seen, the converter doesn't want to stall any more than 2900. I question whether it can run a 13, but I lean toward saying it won't without a looser converter.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts