TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after a month I finally get my package from Fed Ex and this is what I find in the box! Can this be repaired or is it fine or what?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If the broken plastic piece can be pulled from the opening its pressed into, it can conceibably be replaced with a similar sized metal piece. I had an NPI intake that had a brass fitting there instead of a plastic one. It leaked around the joint, so I pulled the brass piece out, covered it with RTV and pressed it back in. It never leaked again. If you can find one of those brass fittings you may be able to replace the broken plastic piece with a brass one.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone else have an opinion... I dunno if I can try and pull this out will wait till what the shipper says, Is the NPI the exact same on that part? if I can pull that plastic piece out can I steal the one from the NPI intake?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i'd get a threaded hose barb and put that in its place....with some threadsealer of course...trying to yank out plastic parts that are pressed in sounds rather tricky/risky to me, as far as breakage is concerned.....just slice off whatever is left with a hacksaw, and thread something in there

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I've seen these repaired and it basically consists of what maestro just said. You'd have to cut the break flush and then tap and thread a barb into it's place using some sort of high temp chemical resistant thread sealer, but even then it is a 50/50 chance on it leaking. That plastic expands at a different rate than the sealer or barb just like trying to patch a composite intake or trying to rethread the intake nipple on an old NPI intake. Honestly I'd rather buy a new one than attempt a repair.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
kingghost you have a PM regarding this

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i wouldnt say its a 50/50 chance on it leaking....a lot of people have done this sort of thing for the "head cooling mod".....the driver's side flat spot is drilled and tapped, and a threaded hose barb is used to let the hot coolant out of the driver's side head to either T it into the water pump tube or into the front crossover...i havent heard of many, if any, leaking......but like chris said, I too would be much happier with a new PI intake

·
Registered
3 Posts
id make the shipper buy the intake again, did the seller insure the package? if so id get the info, i never ship without it or taacking

i wouldnt say its a 50/50 chance on it leaking....a lot of people have done this sort of thing for the "head cooling mod".....the driver's side flat spot is drilled and tapped, and a threaded hose barb is used to let the hot coolant out of the driver's side head to either T it into the water pump tube or into the front crossover...i havent heard of many, if any, leaking......but like chris said, I too would be much happier with a new PI intake

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I do have another PI intake available but the thing is, it'd never get to him in time.

·
Registered
986 Posts
KINgGh0sT,

That portion of the intake manifold is the water outlet which feeds the heater core via one of the rubber hoses.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
I hope that it has the aluminum crossover . That will save King a headache down the road :cool:
eh who doesn't wan't coolant leaking everywhere all over the hot engine so it smells bad for the next month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts