TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., I am extremely interested in purchasing a Ford Racing PI intake and getting some PI cylinder heads to install on my 1997 Thunderbird 4.6 liter V-8, but I know virtually nothing (other than the info I have read on these forums, which is actually quite a bit of VERY good info!) about doing this. The main reason I want to do this is that my car burns some oil and I think it's due mainly to worn valve guides (the engine has almost 147,000 miles on it now). I figure that if I'm going to go through the trouble of having the heads reconditioned, I might as well get some PI heads and an intake!

I have some questions regarding this swap:

1. Where is the best source to obtain a PI intake? I'm kind of thinking I'd prefer a brand-new Ford Racing PI intake.

2. I'm assuming that I could get the aluminum crossover on the front of the PI intake drilled and tapped to accept the coolant temp sensor that my Thunderbird has right by the thermostat housing, which the Mustang apparently does not - is this correct?

3. Is there anything else mounted on/to my stock intake manifold that will NOT fit the PI intake without modification (like the aformentioned coolant temp sensor)?

3. I found a set of left and right 4.6 liter Power Improvement (PI) on eBay for $399 each (these are the same ones Ford Racing sells) that say they are "fully machined and assembled with production Mustang GT valvetrain and camshaft" - can these be used on my 1997 Thunderbird 4.6 liter as a bolt-on, without any other kind of modifications?

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this swap!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
1. if your definition of "best" is brand-new, then call up steve at tousely ford parts...excellent pricing on parts....if that is not your definition of "best", then elaborate

2. yes

3. yes, but it would be foolish to do so

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. if your definition of "best" is brand-new, then call up steve at tousely ford parts...excellent pricing on parts....if that is not your definition of "best", then elaborate

2. yes

3. yes, but it would be foolish to do so

1. Is Steve the Ford parts forum guy here?

3. Why is that foolish? What do you suggest then?

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
no he's not....he's the parts vendor for svtperformance.com....best prices i've seen thus far

foolish because you'd be overpaying quite a bit....you can usually find some low-mileage PI heads with cams for about half that cost.....or equivalently, ported NPI/PI heads for the about the same price you're thinking of spending, which will give a huge increase in performance.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
For the price of all new why not upgrade a bit with the money you'll save and order from modularheadshop.com?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The small stuff involved in the PI intake swap need to be remembered, the different alternator bracket, the different nipple off the back of the water pump and the PI coolant tube, that sort of thing.

Do you have a NPI intake with the aluminum crossover already? If you do, you can swap that to the PI intake, if not, then yes, it can be drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I was to swap-out my non-PI intake & heads on my '97 T-Bird 4.6 liter for the PI intake & heads, would this necessitate the use of premium fuel for any reason? That is something I do NOT want to do - this car is my daily driver and fuel prices are already high enough!

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if you wish to use regular 87 octane, yes it can be done....but you asbolutely need a tune for it.....the timing tables for non-PI longblocks have very large timing advance at low RPM, so you would probably experience some pinging.....a computer tune along with a 180° Tstat and 2-step colder plugs would help out a lot here

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
im glad you posted this im also planning on the PI swap and so far its been pretty helpful. except the part where you posted 1, 2, 3, 3..haha

i kinda had the same deal with theheads, i found a guy that had the complete PI heads with cams sealed and hot tank cleaned for $300. but then i found some cams for like $26 someone on here posted on ebay. so i was thinking i could just port my heads install the cams and intake, spend less money and be just as happy with the gains?

dont mean to jumble up your post tell me if i just need to post my own.. lol

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I will be honest in that I have never seen a home ported set of PI heads flow 1 CFM more than stock. You have to pull the guides to port them properly, and gasket matching is a total waste of time since thats the biggest part of the port anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
im glad you posted this im also planning on the PI swap and so far its been pretty helpful. except the part where you posted 1, 2, 3, 3..haha

i kinda had the same deal with theheads, i found a guy that had the complete PI heads with cams sealed and hot tank cleaned for $300. but then i found some cams for like $26 someone on here posted on ebay. so i was thinking i could just port my heads install the cams and intake, spend less money and be just as happy with the gains?

dont mean to jumble up your post tell me if i just need to post my own.. lol
dont waste your time, money and perfectly good abrasives...just call up modularheadshop.com and tell him I sent'cha :)

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
while this is on the subject still do 97's have to worry about the timing cover? anything special need to be done. i plan on collecting all the parts for the swap by the end of october and spending almost a full week doing the top end swap

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i have windsor heads...so what will i need to do?

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
i got your pm thanks !!!

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
no no i wouldnt be porting them id take them to a shop like modularheadshop and pay them to do it.

i went to there website and saw some good stuff there. i might have to look into that stage two cam. thanks for the link

you might look into new valves and springs for you're heads. it'll be well worth it to have nicely rebuilt heads and i recommend getting his custom pi swap bullet cams

·
Registered
663 Posts
I find it odd that there is no "pi top end swap" sticky article in the 4.6/5.4 engine area... With all the little things like the larger timing cover bolts, how to modify the nipple on the back of the water pump, so on and so forth.

I JUST comleted mine. What fun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts