TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my NPI solid plastic intake finally burst a few days ago durring a 117 degree day out here in vegas.... so on the night of the 3rd I pulled my intake and setup my new gaskets with ultra copper rtv.... all morning on the 4th I replaced the intake, it took longer than it should because I had a few other leaks I hunted down after pulling the intake about 4 times.

I got it all setup and it sounded like a beast, but than at about 1/2 way up on my temp gauge I started having a horrible miss. The car sounds worse than a Harley Davidson motor cycle when I floored it.

I've been having a missing problem since the intake swap... when its cool it runs fantastic but once my gauge gets to mid or higher it misses like mad.... no coolant leaks, lots of rtv around my coolant ports, no coolant loss, wires have about 4,000 miles on them and plugs have about 10,000 (bosch plat 2) also its not an injector problem because if I unplug any off them at idle it runs like crap and levels out when I plug them back in. The miss is durring excelleration, and I've also replaced my maf with one from a good running car.... still having problems. I just don't get it. No vacuum leaks. No smoke. No milky oil. No milky coolant. No arcing I can see at night. But it just keeps missing!!! :confused: Please help.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would double check and triple check / replace your vacuum lines. After that, make sure your egr is properly hooked up, and make sure teh passages are clean for teh exhaust to pass through. I would assume since the problem does not happen until the car is warm that this would be an egr problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
have you checked your thermostat?
you didn't close UP the ports with RTV did you?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No lol I did not close the ports with RTV lol... I'll double check the vac lines and egr tomorrow and let you all know what the news is, I'll also replace the t-stat again just for good measure, they are cheap enough.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You might want to make sure the t stat is not installed upside down... that would be bad too....

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:rolleyes: Seriously, wtf no the t-stat is installed the right way, this isn't my first time working on a car. Vac lines are leak free and egr seems to be functioning fine as well.

·
Registered
620 Posts
check and see if there is anywater in any of the spark plug holes,if you have a miss then the eec should pick it up and throw a cel and then you can tell were the miss it,i had the same problem,after i washed the engine down,it would run great cold and then spit and sputter after warm and come to find out i had slite water down in the plugholes
mike

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
after my intake swap I had it running pretty decent. Then started getting misfires. Turned out the passenger side rear of the intake wasn't bolted down tight enough at the proper torque specs and a little coolant was leaking out into the plug hole. I had to give it a little more tightening but after that it still had a miss. Apparently the coolant caused the insulator to crack cuz after I changed the spark plugs it went away. I dont believe I'm the only one that has had this problem. Be sure to look really close at the last 2 passenger side spark plug areas to see if coolant is present.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Even the slightest bit of coolant will cause problems. Once the engine heats up it starts to smoke, which really gets in to the boot. Just get some compressed air and blow it out when the engine is semi-warm. Then get a Q-Tip and clean out the connector inside the spark plug wire boot.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
also u need either ford plugs or autolites those bosch suck but u prolly have antifreeze dont the spark plug wholes

Robert

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant to get back to this post about 2 days ago but I've been incredibly busy.

Spark plug holes #5,#6, &#7 were covered in coolant, after cleaning them all out by pulling all the plugs on that side I cranked it over with the eec fuse pulled and put the plugs and boots back in.... it ran better but still missed, I rechecked all of the boots and it was than I noticed that the #8 boot wasn't properly connecting to the #8 plug, so I pulled that autozone duralast wire and replaced it with the old #8 wire I had from the original set that came with the car 10+ years ago and it ran even better.... by the time it was night I really had a much better view of what was going on... the #5,#6, and #7 wires were fried from having coolant in them and were arching in the holes....

I pulled all of the autozone duralast wires and replaced them with my 10+ year old original ford wires I pulled back in Feb. for proventative maintenance (nothing was wrong with them.... I just wanted to be proactive) ever since I reinstalled the original wires I've had no problems. I've driven around all weekend enjoying my intake swap.

Although I did over look the problem initially I still blame those crappy shorted out duralast wires, I only had them 5 months.... those ford wires went through blown head gaskets and back and still work fine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just wondering why don't you guys like bosch?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts