TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reading the posts about adding the PI intake to a car with NPI heads.

A few questions.

In the group purchase thread about the Livernois kit it says that "Upwards of 35 hp and 40 lb's can be obtained - Doubles the output of just installing the PI intake alone"
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41272

Can someone clarify what in the kit accounts for double the power of just using the PI intake itself.

Also will the Livernois adapter and the PI intake (not the kit) fit in my car. The Livernois site says that the regular intake will not fit but that is on a mustang what about a MN12?
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=457

The HP claims I saw for this mod varied and some were for cars with PI Cams. Is 10-15 HP about right for a car with minor mods (mods in sig) installing a cat back and UD pullys this winter.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If memory serve me correctly (not looking at the link) the kit contains the PI intake, adapter plates, coolant tube, and gaskets. I think that if you were to put the PI intake and the PI cams in, you might get close to 30 hp. But to keep it simple, you can simply use the NPI gaskets and some RTV with the PI intake and be done with it. That should yield around 10 hp or so. And it is a lot cheaper than the kit.

Joe

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe.

I'm not planning on PI cams, at least not right now. I read your write up on installing the PI intake without the adapter. I'll most likely go this route. I don't want to spend $600 on the kit. I considered the adapter by itself but $300 is still pretty steep. Does anyone make an alternative adapter? I know some guys looked into having them made but that seems to have fallen apart.

Joe

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Double? no way. JL and KD did this swap and did portmatching, and only got afew more hp than people who didn't port match at all. Is it better to port match? yes. However it is WAY beyond the point of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Greenbird. I thought double the HP sounded pretty optimistic.

Joe

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Do the portmatching with epoxy, then you need no RTV and have a much better sealing surface. 10-15HP peak, and more than that as the RPMs increase. What theyre doing is quoting HP at like 6000 RPMs instead of peak (mid 4000s).

·
Registered
663 Posts
check here for the progress of the adapters:

http://www.hiperformancesolutions.com/index2.html

They are also working on an aluminum upper and lower intake for our cars as well as some 5.4 adapters to adapt the PI intake. Pretty cool company. they specialize in making hard-to-find or one-off parts. They said their PI adapters should be very affordable.

B

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've looked at that site, interesting stuff. Does anyone know if the PI intake and one of their adapters will fit under the stock hood?

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts