TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if it's worth it to add onto the NPI head's. I've seen swaps for a '96/'97 car's but nothing for a '94/'95.

I've found this:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pi-intake-install.html

Seems to be pretty straight forward, but since I'm dealing with a '94/'95 I'm curious if there is anything else required.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,209 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, the shiny brand new engine couldnt hurt either :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Also it has COP's not spark plug wires and coils.

Really does clean up the engine bay!!!

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
...and the lack of A/C tubing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did the PI intake on my car, went from running 16.2 in the quarter to 15.1 between that and a tune. So yeah, worth it!! I do also have some smaller bolt ons UD pulleys, 76mm MAFS, and Ported plenum and TB too though.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm in the middle of that swap myself...

·
Super Moderator
12,845 Posts
XR7-4.6, how did you stuff the intake box in there?

I'm hitting the box in front, and the bend in the intake tube seems to be in the wrong place, lol.

You'd think it was for another car or something... :D

I'm thinking about relocating the box; I'm sure it's something critical... CCRM maybe?

I've got Another intake leak on my DD; I'm going to do a pi swap this weekend to put the gasket seals in another spot. :facepalm:

Maybe it won't waste any more expensive spark plug wires, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,209 Posts
I have the same setup. The tube is a bit tight and you have to "cheat" a few of the bends, but it works out okay.

I cut off about 1/3 the rubber snorkel and stuffed it into the hole into the fenderwell, which is all that really holds it there. I also am bumping into the CCRM, but it's nothing critical since it's not putting any pressure on it. It's only a real problem when I go to try and take out the air filter...

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Does the mustang intake tube and round air box offer any benefit over the stock MN12 intake tube and air box? I guess I should know the answer to that after 10+ years here, but I never really looked into the swap. And yes, the PI inake really does help. PI cams help even more. Those two things, with a tune and 3.73 limited slip will get you low to mid 14 second quarter mile times.

·
Super Moderator
11,209 Posts
I swapped over mainly so I could use the 02 GT MAF sensor. If anything, it looks like the conical filter exhibits slightly more surface area than the stock panel filter, but aside from that... I can't see any other benefits.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
one of these days i hope to be their, brand new PI engine, a tune, and no rust. really don't care for those cone filters/box though, cant stand that ring clamp that holds its all together, always end up bending the little hooks that hold it on their and then breaking them off so i can get it closed, not a big deal but it annoys me.

also i think i would have to make a new bracket for the power steering tank, that extra junk for the coilpack would bug me :D

and something about the plug for the fan seems off, cant remember it being up that high, want to say its on the bottom of my fan motor. possibly because mines a 95

beautiful setup though

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I haven't gotten around to installing the COP power steering bracket yet, it's stamped sheet metal found on most 99+ Crown vics so no need to make one.

The fan is from a 02 Mustang, I needed it for the 03 Cobra rad
I used my original fan with my 03 Cobra rad. I used those plastic tie wraps to strap it to the radiator. It's been like that for two years with no problems, and it doesn't look like a hack job, you can't really tell that's how it's held on unless you look real close (just like the upper brackets flipped upside down and the small corner cut out of the battery box to fit that radiator in there).

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I almost did that, I just didn't like how it looked (being narrower and taller than the rad core), so I grafted in the MN12 motor and blade into the Mustang shroud :gapteeth:
That's funny, mine isn't taller than the radiator, it looks like it came in there! I'll have to get you a pic.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.