TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and could not come up with the info I am looking for.....

I understand that the 4.6L intake from a 99+ 2v engine is the best PI to use on a 96 4.6L.

Is there any advantage to using a mustang PI vs. a Crown Vic PI vs a Police Package PI etc???

I understand to keep the 96 throttle body and linkage, along with the MAF and air tube...what about upgrading the injectors to the 24#s?

Just trying to limit my JY search for parts.

Any other info for this upgrade is appreciated.

Links welcomed too.....

Not interested in the head/cam swap at this time, will wait for the engine to blow!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If all you are doing is a PI intake swap, you wont max out the 19lb injectors, so save your money on those. The PI intake only came on 99+ 2v Mustangs. Everything else got the PI intake in 01+ year models. FWIW, I am running an 05 Mountaineer intake on my car. Mustang PI=Crown Vic PI=Police Interceptor PI. They all have the same runners. The only differences would be that the earliest ones would have an integral plastic coolant crossover, while the later ones have a removable aluminum one.

The explorer/mountaineer intakes have a blind hole on the RH rear of the intake for the heater hose, so if you want to use that location you have to drill out the bottom of the hole. Pretty much your best bet for buying a new one would be to get ahold of your local FRPP dealer. I usually get mine from 50resto.com. They were like $189 last time I bought one, but you "need" other items to do the swap such as the water pump pipe nipple and the coolant tube that runs under the intake. Since you already have a 96+, that is about all the parts you have to worry about to swap this thing on, exluding gaskets and a dab of silicone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have access to a few Police wrecks 2002+ so I am going to try and get the parts from these Crown Vics. I thank you for the coolant tube info and the waterpump nipple. Injectors will be part of the package. The ones I have looked at have the aluminum crossover (the part that the t-stat mounts on).

Will try to get a few...anything else needed from the donor engines?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts