TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First.... I've done a search.......Thanks for asking....lol.....

I am just brainstorming while I'm at work. I was wondering exactly what I would have to buy to upgrade to a PI intake. I have heard I need:

96+ Plenum and TB
PI Intake (obviously)
Some EGR SHI+

I may be wrong or I may not know what I'm talking about. Just wondering how much work I have to accomplish for more power. I live for POWER!

ALso if I need to buy the 96 plenum and tb.....COuld I buy a Trick FLow Plenum or Accufab... or whatever.

Any suggestions to help my 95 would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Rich posted this a while back...

96 TBird fuel rails
96 Throttle cable
96 Cable bracket
96 cruise control cable
96 EGR Tube
96 Plenum
96 Throttle Body
'02 Mustang Intake Tube or MAC CAI
You must either get the 99+ water tube in the valley, or modify yours somehow to fit.

you could do any aftermarket plenum and TB as well.

·
8,239 Posts
just drop a pi motor in there and be done with it. When you add up the bill and the trouble of all the crap you need to buy from the dealer, you will be getting closer and closer to that 1000 dollar mark for a explorer motor.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
Would a after market TB and plenum make a noticeable difference?

Instead of the 96 tbird throttle cable and rails and that shi^, would it be worthwhile to buy aftermarket or GT parts while I am replacing them???

Thanks
Debateable.

No. GT throttle cable wouldn't work and the fuel rail is the same piece as the T-Bird.

I would tend to agree with Justin. Going through all the work to convert over to the newer style intake just to still have the crap F4 heads isn't worth it.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When this engine dies, I will.......Until then, who knows.

There is already a new engine in my car, This one has a little over 10,000 miles on it.
Unfortunatly I did not know about TCCoA last July or I could put the 4500.00 I paid for my engine into a sick upgraded PI engine back then.

Now I'm screwed. I can't just pull the old motor. Then I'm out the $4500 dollars.
I cant justify wasting the money......Any ideas?

Dave

·
Registered
287 Posts
For you guys recommending the engine wswap versus the head swap, what is the grand difference...if we are talking aluminum blocks versus Cast iron block, is weight the only issue? How much of a weight difference are we talking? If I am not mistaken...that only thing that differentiates the engines is the heads. I am like Dave, that engine is fine...no need to swap ina new one if the other one ain't dead. No smoke, 300+ miles to a tank, 4500 miles on the oil, and runs like a SOB, no need. Change the top and roll. I thing if you look at the cost per job, the engine swap still rings in more.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
Now I'm screwed. I can't just pull the old motor. Then I'm out the $4500 dollars.
I cant justify wasting the money......Any ideas?

Dave
It was wasted when you plopped down the cash. Take it out and you might get $1000 for it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The heads, cams and intake on a pi motor are about 45 hp together (plus or minus 10-depending who you talk to) and the PI manifold isnt a good match on the NPI heads, so you are asking for coolant leaks without buying a set of adapter plates(been there done that).figure another $250-375 for plates.. also, just a small problem plumbing the changes at the back of engine, as it can be a PITA, however, us intrepid T-Bird guys can do just about anything, so swap the manifold first.. spend more than you planned, then as the engine is almost new , later,you could go for it and slap a frpp blower on it and a chip, which will net you about the same hp as the PI engine swap and , Hey! you might have a few bucks left over(mighty few).... LOL ....having a low miler '94 engine and wanting more power, and being unwilling to swap is a no win situation...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
well the f4 heads are not the best but there not completely junk ive got them all stock and so does hans nickstadt we both have pi intakes and comp cams we both have run 13.7 at 100 plus mph almost 101 and i even went 13.85 with the stock intake so u say the heads arent worth the hassle but we are both turning good numbers and the heads have never been removed and Hans has 153000 miles
if u are gonna do the swap atleast use a pi intake we picked up 11 rwhp on hanses car but its your call later

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couple more questions.........I've bought the PI Intake and am bidding on various things I need.......

NOw, I need to buy TB and Plenum........

What size is our stock TB?

What size can the PI Intake handle, 70 or 75mm?

What Modifications other than the normal ones for intake swap would I need for the 75mm, TB?

Will I see a difference between the 70 and 75mm TB?

Thanks Guys!

Dave

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
dave, if your still going with the trick flow plenum get a 70mm accufab or bbk throttle body. accufab is supposed to be better but i've personally never used either one so dont quote me. you dont need to make any special modificatin just for a larger tb. a stock 96-97 tbird intake tube or 99+ mustang intake tube will fit fine. there wont be much of a difference between 70mm and 75mm. figure out which plenum you want then decide on the tb size cuz each plenum flows differently with the two tb sizes. check out these numbers from modular depot.

Plenum combination....................CFM
-------------------------....................-----
Stock plenum only ('98-'00)........498
with stock 65MM TB....................441
with 70MM TB.............................491
with 75MM TB.............................488

Stock plenum only ('01 & up)......505
with stock 65MM TB....................460
with 70MM TB.............................488
with 75MM TB.............................491

Trick Flow plenum only...............616
with 70MM TB............................595
with 75MM TB............................593

C&L plenum only.......................569
with 70MM TB............................557
with 75MM TB............................597

Dragon plenum only...................664
with 70MM TB.............................611
with 75MM TB.............................619

Accufab 70MM plenum only........619
with 70MM TB.............................628
with 75MM TB.............................614

Accufab 75MM plenum only.........680
with 70MM TB.............................628
with 75MM TB.............................628

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
no, you sure its for a 4.6? i didnt even know they make one. your probably best off with the accufab though, that seems to be what everyone is getting the best results with. here are some dyno results from modular depot using the different plenums. not a very good horsepower to dollar ratio in my opinion. dyno results

the accufab plenum and accufab tb combo seems to be the best with gains of 6.31 rwhp and 6.88 rwtq.

Frank

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I bought the PI intake for my '95, then started adding up the costs to swap it on, and I came out to over $1200 to get everything swapped over, I sold the intake, I could buy a whole PI engine for that, and pick up a lot more than 11HP. After adding up the cost, it just wasn't worth the money for 11HP, when for the same amount, I could pick up 55HP with the engine swap, and have a low mileage engine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Where are you getting the prices to get it to 1200? I can't imagine it being more than a 2-300.

Sam

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
To convert a '94/5 to the new style intake, you need the upper intake, lower intake, throttle body, throttle cable, fuel rail, fuel lines (recommended), all applicable gaskets etc...

With a '96/7 all you have to worry about is the lower intake and the heater line. It is a much bigger undertaking on a '94/5 car and for the money you'd drop on that, you could do a PI engine for not a whole heckuva lot more.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You say upper and lower. What exactly is the "PI Intake" upper or lower or both?

So you are looking at:

160 - PI Intake
50 - Installation accesories
150 - fuel rail/lins
? - cables

What else?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts