TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I just snarfed this intake on eBay, I have a quick question about the sealing of the water port.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250032284555

I'm going to use the rtv method, but since this intake has the gaskets built into it, do I just rtv the proper area, or do I remove the gaskets on the intake and use the stand alone gaskets?

Oh, it's going on my mom's 96 Grand Marquis which still has the plastic intake and for the price couldn't pass it up. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Good score. Wonder how well it works with the built-in gaskets? Might make it simpler to install if there's no locating pins. No need to worry about the gaskets skewing on installation. I'd try it with the built-in gaskets.

Do the built in gaskets peel off?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Here's a thought.Put it on the bird!Good deal though.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Great Obucina said:
that is more than likely the doorman manifold.
Is that a good or bad thing? I didn't do a lot of research on the pro's con's of the different intakes since this was $40. :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Great Obucina said:
it may be more difficult to do the manifold swap with that integrated gasket thing.....
I was thinking that before I bid on it. I've ordered a set of gaskets so I'll do an analysis when I have everything sitting on a table (I have a set of NPI heads available). What I'm hoping is that the integrated gasket things can be removed, and then the OEM gaskets be installed and they line up with the grooves in the intake (assuming there are grooves!!)

We shall see. :D

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I would think you would be fine even with those in there. All your doing is putting a dab of rtv on the front water port the passenger and dab on the rear drivers side and enough that it squishes out some to see it properly. You should be fine with that

-Matt-

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I have that manifold (mine is PI style, for an 02 4.6), and I left the built-in gaskets in place and just added orange RTV at the coolant ports and slapped it on there. On my PI manifold there are recessed areas right by the ports, so I filled those with RTV then proceeded to add RTV in the usual manner. It works great, and yes the gaskets (actually o-rings) do come off if you wish.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts