TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

have been kinda reluctant to performance upgrades lately for reasons which i cant talk about on the forum. but just got this crazy urge to throw on my PI intake thats been sitting in the garage for about 2 months. all is going well so far got the old npi manifold off and tomorrow i will put the PI manifold on.

anyways i posted this because i was wondering what i should do while the top end of my motor is in pieces? (searched it some and decided ill just start a new thread) im thinking about bigger injectors but not sure on what size? thinking about throttle body and plenum? what would you do to get the most out of the intake manifold?

working on pictures

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
do you have access and funds to tune the computer? if no, dont worry about injectors

if you still have stock heads and cams, there is nothing else that will truly help out "drag racing" style performance....the "bottlenecks" will now be elsewhere; meaning the heads/cams/exhaust....a larger throttle body will make it more sensitive to throttle position, but once its past a certain angle, there is no benefit because the stock throttle body wasn't the bottle neck in the first place

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tune is near future. will it be ok to put the upgraded injectors in now or just wait til i get the tune?

thats what everyones been saying about the throttle body so far. prob pass on that. i guess next upgrade is the heads and cams after the tune. Thanks for your help

(does anyone have an unlocked xcal2 or 3 for sale?)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Don't bother with the injectors unless you plan on some big upgrades later down the road, like cams or blower etc. There will be 0 gain on a stock motor or basic mods. But, if your def getting a tune and def know your going to be doing some decent mods down the road, it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
O yea, also if you want to try E85 fuel in the future, definitely going to want bigger injectors.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok problem, need help!

got it all back together finnaly but of course something went wrong..

when the car is at low rpms anything around 1k or lower it acts like the car is stalling. ill press the gas and it acts like someone that doesnt know how to drive a stick -really bad shudder. talked to my dad about it he thinks it needs to be tuned cause im getting too much air now. what do you guys think?

but other than that it feels great, BIG improvement at 3700rpm+

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,209 Posts
No tune is necessary for the PI intake or cams. Heads on the other hand...

Definitely look over all the vacuum lines, check then double check all your work just to be sure you didn't overlook anything silly.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok ill double check the vacuum lines thanks for your help.

got a check engine light about two weeks ago took it to autozone and they said i had air in my fuel lines, said it was no big deal and would eventually come out on its own. didnt have any problems with it and car was running great so i took his word on it. -this wouldnt be the problem would it? -and if it is anyone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
holy hell found the problem.. cant believe i missed this. dont laugh but the MAF and air sensor come unplugged. i remember looking under the hood last night thinking what the eff went wrong so i went through the check list and checked the vacuum lines this morning looked at it again and got down to the MAF and it was barley hangin there and the air sensor was completely unplugged.. FML!! but thank God it was something dumb and EASY TO FIX

thanks for your help guys.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,209 Posts
Like I said, double and triple check everything to be sure you didn't miss anything silly. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like I said, double and triple check everything to be sure you didn't miss anything silly. :tongue:
haha spot on

seems like i lost alittle low end but runs great especially about 3700 rpm and up, well worth it tho.
now i need a cam :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.