TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to convert my 95 bird to the PI intake only for right now. I have already done the true dual exhaust, removed air silencer, "gutted" MAF, etc. with great success. I plan on doing a complete dual cam engine switch next year, but I don't have time right now to rip it all the way down. I figured I could do this easy part first, and it would eliminate some of the headaches later. I have read and searched for days for what I exactly would need, but am seemingly more confused now. I find alot of people talking about the swap, but no real usable info. Everyone says just search, but all I find is people discussing and disagreeing on what is needed, or info. that conflicts with other info. I could really use some help from someone who has actually done the swap.
I understand that I need the PI intake, but is there a particular year or part # that would work best for my car? What upper plenum/throttle body would be best, and would my cables be a direct fit? What about the fuel rails? Who has the best mod idea for using a PI intake on non-PI heads? I felt more confident with swapable parts before I started looking for help on the forums, just from looking at various cars. Any help or direction anyone could offer would be great.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There are many many sources of complete instructions on doing this swap. There are also almost as many opinions on how to do it (PI gaskets and RTV for the water port, NPI gaskets and RTV for the intake runners, etc). Dan has a list of parts in what he calls the "PI Kit" which isn't really a kit listed in his forum.

I looked at all of the sites with information and have made up my mind what route I am going to take, I just don't have the time right now to do it (I have had JMOD parts for 2 months and haven't found the time).

Many sell the Ford Racing PI intake with the aluminum crossover for around 200 bucks. Thats the same price as the Dorman NPI intake with the aluminum crossover. My 97 Cougar already has had the intake replaced, too bad it was an NPI from 98-00 with the composite crossover. I am sure it will fail again, I want to do the PI update prior to that happening.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I will be the first to say, use PI gaskets for the swap.
Why, here's a couple of pics to show why.
Pic 1 shows a bear NPI head.

Pic 2 shows a PI gasket on a NPI head.

Pic 3 shows where to put the RTV on the NPI head.

Pic 4 shows the RTV squished with the PI gasket on the NPI head.

Now if you went with NPI gaskets, you would have to use RTV on every intake port.
Thats 8 places for the stuff to fail, vs., 2 places.
And so far we have over 10,000 miles on my brothers 96 GT, and no problems yet.(doing it the way I described first).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.