TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to get a PI intake? Mines leaking at the heater core nipple but it's the pi heads so I need that style. And can't seem to find on online from anywhere reputable. Jeggs and summit are out of stock

· Registered
2,844 Posts
All Ford makes these days is the PI style. Any Ford dealer can get it, but if you have to pay full retail, it might be pricey. It seems these are out of stock at a lot of places.

Al

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried LMR they are out of stock so is american muscle and everywhere else American Muscle says they can get me one but I think they are just trying to get me to pay for it and wait an undisclosed amount of time until they get one .

also back ordered from ford.... insane trying to find one of these I would have thought a mustang part would be easier to find than the Tbird part being that mustang is fords flagship car

· Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
12,487 Posts
Pandemic supply-chain issues persist all over the place... They're all made in the same factory/factories other Ford parts (and other manufacturer parts, most likely) come from - and for the sake of profitability and priority, they are focusing on parts with a higher volume with the limited labor available. The PI intakes will be made in a smaller batch eventually, and depending on how many backordered intakes there are you may or may not even get the opportunity to buy one "in stock" before all manufactured units are already spoken for.

If you're serious about a new one and can tolerate a 3-6 month (if I had to guess) wait, get your name in the backorder queue now and you'll get it eventually.

The short-term alternative is to hit up car-part.com and get a used one from a 99+ 4.6 2V sent to you.

· Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
If you’re going to keep the car long-term, it might be worth getting one of the all aluminum Typhoon intake manifolds. They used to be around $800 brand new, now they are also out of production, but there are a few used ones on eBay for around that price, but being all aluminum, it would be a one-time purchase and never have to worry about an intake manifold again.

· Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,912 Posts
If you’re going to keep the car long-term, it might be worth getting one of the all aluminum Typhoon intake manifolds. They used to be around $800 brand new, now they are also out of production, but there are a few used ones on eBay for around that price, but being all aluminum, it would be a one-time purchase and never have to worry about an intake manifold again.
My longterm thought is find an Explorer intake with the blocked off heater outlet, use the DOHC crackpipe on the back of the head instead and lop off the plastic crossover pads and mount the aluminum crossover directly on the heads with RTV.

· Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
At that point, I would just fill in the groove for the O-ring with epoxy, then attach it with some right-stuff or make your own flat paper gasket for it.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

· Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
Yup, stock PI gaskets. Actually Fel-Pro makes a set of gaskets that are on a metal backing instead of plastic, so if you get those, you’ll never have to mess with the intake manifold again!

· Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
No problem. I didn’t even realize that was you! If you’re still running the stock NPI heads, then you’ll need some RTV around the coolant port area to use the PI gaskets. If you have PI heads, then no RTV needed, just bolt it on and go.

· Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
12,487 Posts
Drill and tap it. If you wire up only one sensor temporarily, use the gray connector which is for the PCM. The green one is for the gauge.

· Registered
2,844 Posts
If you decide to drill it, feel inside the coolant port, the "meat" of the aluminum is not centered on that nice round boss you see on the top side. I ended up with the hole offset. The aluminum gets thin in some areas, and you could end up with only a thread or two in the thin area of the aluminum if you don't get it in the right spot.

Al

Reactions: Grog6
1 - 20 of 35 Posts