TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think I found another way without tapping so underneath the intake is another coolant port (this is a PI swap) and nothing was plugged in I'm gonna extend the wire 3-4 inches so it'll reach that sensor (and put a new sensor incase that one was bad) it's a pro comp all aluminum intake and I don't like the idea of drilling it not alot of aluminum to work with and of course the one missing is the computer side

· Registered
2,844 Posts
That's an interesting manifold. Is the mis-match between manifold to heads as bad as PI to NPI?

Al

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
I didn't realize there was an all- aluminum pi intake.

· Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,912 Posts
Wasn’t J Miller somehow involved in the development of them? Or at least trying to get them to make a 5.4 2V style intake?

I think when they first came out they were only like $400-$500, they were substantially less than used Bullitt intakes at one time, and when they stopped being produced the vendors seemed to have a fire sale where they were flooded on on eBay for like $250 BIN. There’s a general consensus that the performance potential was identical to the PI intake even when ported and coupled with the extra weight and heat soak potential made people shun or ignore them.

· Super Moderator
9,309 Posts
My understanding was that it was dimensionally the same as the PI manifold, and so the performance was the same as the PI manifold before porting, aside from the weight and heat soak. If I had known about them being sold for $250, I would have picked up a couple of them just to have. I don’t see it as a performance mod, but given the lack of availability of the real PI manifold, having one of these seems like the only long-term option for every 2v 4.6 that doesn’t want to choke off the top end with the generic aftermarket dorman type manifolds.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My reasoning in it are more the longevity than the hp gain/or loss in the past 10 years I've had issue with at least 3 intakes on this car (all have broken the heater core nipple off) I'm sick of replacing them. Not to mention my work van has had to have 2 intakes on it (also 4.6 2v...but a 2012)

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So got it put back together... The stock intake bolts where a little too long so I had to cut those down slightly... The aluminum intake plane is a little shorter than the plastic one(which is why bolts where too long).Also the temp sensor worked great extented the wire about 3 inches and hooked up to the lower sensor that was previously unused. I did use my temp gun and live data to ensure proper Temps for radiator fan control. They where about 2 degrees different which isn't surprising because my temp gun is a cheap one.

· Administrator
23,912 Posts
Interesting that they thinned the flanges for that intake, on my 94, which originally had the original design factory aluminum intake, the bolts were shorter too, I stripped out the end threads in a few holes reusing the original bolts when I converted it to plastic PI and had to seek out the longer ones

· Super Moderator
14,406 Posts
I guess those were maybe sold for the 94-95 cars originally?

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
well i had the time to drive it around a bit yesterday and it runs good plenty of power didn't see or detect any leaks.. although I belive i have a small leak at a rear heater hose. because its the PI swap its got a non stock heater hose to make it reach where it needs to reach to get to the hard line that goes underneath the intake. it has a fitting there with a temp sensor and thats where its leaking I belive. do I actually need that temp sensor back there? what does it do?

· Administrator
23,912 Posts
It prevents the automatic climate control from blowing before the engine is up to temperature so you don’t get a waft of cold air from the vents. Totally not necessary otherwise, I’ve intended to put the sensor in mine but despite all the various engine configurations that gave me the opportunity I never got around to it

21 - 35 of 35 Posts