TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to start off saying thanks to everyone here for all the great info. I read on here all of the time, and have learned a lot of valuable info.

The install of the PI manifold went pretty well. It took a while, but I wanted to go slow (take my time). Numbering the plug wires, keeping all of the bolts seperate, etc. I also did the water pump o-ring, 22c plugs, 180 t-stat, FRPP wires, and a few other small things. After everything went back together, and after sitting overnight for the RTV to cure, she fired right up. It idles great and there are no leaks to speak of

the only thing that really gave me any problems was the tube and sensor on the back of the manifold. I have read what others have done, and seen some pictures, but after thinking over it for a while( and over a couple of cold ones)I decided to go a little different route. Instead of t fittings and hoses, etc. I decided to just cut the existing tube(with the sensor fitting in it) into a "J" shape. I secured it with the existing hose coming out of the firewall, and used the 3" tube from the old waterpump nipple to secure it to the PI coolant tube. Anyway, it might have already been done before, but it worked well for me.

All in all, I am very pleased.
I have a 97 T-Bird sport, and next on the list is true duals and SCT. I already have the 02 stang intake tube and MAF waiting for the tuner. I have an 89 XR4TI I am trying to sell before I can afford it though.

Anyway, sorry so long, and thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So have you driven it yet? Hows the power increase, noticable? I want to do that someday.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Just want to start off saying thanks to everyone here for all the great info. I read on here all of the time, and have learned a lot of valuable info.

The install of the PI manifold went pretty well. It took a while, but I wanted to go slow (take my time). Numbering the plug wires, keeping all of the bolts seperate, the only thing that really gave me any problems was the tube and sensor on the back of the manifold. I have read what others have done, and seen some pictures, but after thinking over it for a while( and over a couple of cold ones)I decided to go a little different route. Instead of t fittings and hoses, etc. I decided to just cut the existing tube(with the sensor fitting in it) into a "J" shape. I secured it with the existing hose coming out of the firewall, and used the 3" tube from the old waterpump nipple to secure it to the PI coolant tube. Anyway, it might have already been done before, but it worked well for me.
Thats what I did .

you can see the wire for the sensor running on the valve cover .

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Pi intake is a good mod. I think the sensor needs to be grounded to work right. The big thing is making good hose connections, because if it ever leaks you will run out of coolant in about 30 seconds.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
What do you guys mean when you say gounded mine works just fine .

I havent had a leak and the temp gauge works like it did before .

The other sensor on the crossover is the one that controls the fan .

Also if I ever get a leak my low coolent light would light up like it did before
when I small leak from the radiator hose .

Also correct me if I'm wrong wasnt that sensor plugged into a plastic manifold ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CJ- that looks similar to what I did, but I used more of the tube. I didn't have any hose the right size, and didn't want to stop to go to the parts store.

I think the old coolant tube was grounded where it mounted to the back of the head. It didn't look like a ground though because the bracket was painted. Anyway, it seems to work fine so far.

David- I believe it is a worth while mod. The low end feels better, and it has a different tone(sounds meaner). I only drove it into work today in traffic so I didn't have a chance to really open it up. It is noticeable, how much I can't say with the butt dyno. I like it though, especially for the price. I got the genuine Ford PI manifold for under $150 shipped from Ebay. I have the PI cams also, but I think I might sell those. There are too many other things I need to get done first before the cams. Also, the timing chains, guides, tensioners were just done less than 20K ago.

thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts