TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well im excited about the pi motor i got so giving a couple of parts a face lift. ive painted the timing cover, pi intake, intake plenum, throttle body, allum crossover. im gonna paint most of the small brackets the color of the crossover looking for that new crate motor look lol. i will update this thread with more pics instead of having them scattered everywhere.

on the stand, a 2004 Explorer PI aluminum motor:

Light coats of primer:

Paint is now on manifold and a lil tease of what it will look like with the 1,200 degree painted crossover:

Plenum, Water Pump Pulley, Crank Pulley, 2nd Coil Bracket

Finished Valve Covers:

And the finished product:

Pulling the old motor out:

PI Motor is in the engine bay. Time to connect the dots:

PI Manifold is on:

PI Engine Swap Complete, need a couple of broken vacuum/pcv lines first:

heres a vid decicated to the swap - http://media.putfile.com/my-engine-swap-vid

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Awesome man.Everything looks great.Just wait till you get to compare your NPI ports with the PI ports.Big difference between the two.
Oh and i forgot i still owe you a pic of my T-fitting for the temp sensor.Only thing is i think it is causing the gauge to read way too hot.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Is that a good place to have the Coolant sensor???I thought that was for different cooling purpose's???If that is the case then I might have to do that too.I did it when i orignaly ran the motor but i was unsure if it was working when the gauge was reading 260*.So i moved it back onto the crossover.I think the gauge reads wrong because of the brass fitting i put on there.Maybe it holds to much heat in there.Who knows..

Just another thing for me to figure out or i can just Buy a gauge pod and use the excuse of the gauge being broken as leverage when proposing the gauge pod idea to the wife.

·
Registered
955 Posts
why do waste my time when your painting jobs look as good if not better then the powdercoating! i should be sending you stuff!!!!!LOL

LOOKS GOOD!!!

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea my painting skills have improved lots. i learned that putting on many light light coats looks a lot better than 1-2 med coats. plus primer and making sure the part is cleaned like hell makes it even better.

powdercoating will always be better due to it being more scratch resistant. but overall moneywise, spray paint is better

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
95xbird said:
Is that a good place to have the Coolant sensor???I thought that was for different cooling purpose's???If that is the case then I might have to do that too.I did it when i orignaly ran the motor but i was unsure if it was working when the gauge was reading 260*.So i moved it back onto the crossover.I think the gauge reads wrong because of the brass fitting i put on there.Maybe it holds to much heat in there.Who knows..

Just another thing for me to figure out or i can just Buy a gauge pod and use the excuse of the gauge being broken as leverage when proposing the gauge pod idea to the wife.
Porkchop, you can use the explorer's head temp sensor as long as you tell your tuner that's what you are using. You can also use the explorer's DPFE in the same manner. I did because it is so small that you don't have to mount it. It will just sit on top of the tubes.

Rob

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If the 97 DPFE is the large one like on my 95, most I've seen mount it to the firewall or fab up a bracket on the back of the intake. I'm pretty sure I used the explorer one without a tune and didn't throw a CEL. Timb used the head temp sensor for a while without a tune at first, but lonnie told him it heated up faster or something like that and it was best to get a tune to use it. I'm not real sure since it's been a while. I believe the one for the gauge has to be in the cross-over.

I really don't like the stories I've read about the use of t-fittings. Such as air pockets and bad readings.

One other option, if you're up to it, is to open up the rear water nipple on the back of the intake. That way you can remove the hose fitting from the cross-over and put both temp sensors where they belong. Just be careful drilling and trimming the hole since it's all plastic. That is of course if it's still there on the 04 (can't make it out on your pics). It was on my 02 intake, just didn't have a hole going thru to the head. Go figure.

Check out this link, post #14. Pics 2 and 3 show the solution for the SATC temp sensor fix (if you have that option). In the last pic, you can barely make out the 02 DPFE on my engine. It's right behind the plenum. It's black with a white-ish plug.

Rob

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if moving the sensor to the head works and the only downside is that it heats up faster then i dont see why that would be a problem. its just for the temp gauge right? does the other sensor communicate with the ecu or do both of them on our models?

im not getting a tune yet but when i do i guess ill include that info with it.

-Mike

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i added more pics, but im curious about that intake plenum. is the plenum supposed to look like that towards the right? just curious

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I hope your paint stays like that. I used that on my truck to test what would happen after time...well it started like yours and then got very DULL. Thats why I didn't do it to my new engine. I think even tho it is high temp paint, after time it dry's it out.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The 04 Fly by wire explorer has all the egr electronics built into the EGR valve.My motor when i got it never came with a dpfe sensor so i assume it is part of the valve.

As far as the cooling sensor in the head goes that is the sensor that sends the signal to the computer.The sender is what tells you how hot your running.I really dont care for the brass t-fitting ethier because i believe it is sending a false reading to my gauge.So i will be eliminating that and probley be moving the sensor back to the head when i tune it.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
94ONAIR said:
I hope your paint stays like that. I used that on my truck to test what would happen after time...well it started like yours and then got very DULL. Thats why I didn't do it to my new engine. I think even tho it is high temp paint, after time it dry's it out.
really? crap.....o well we will see, maybe if i put some clear coat on it?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pm sent roger

just waiting on will to call me back around 7ish. he was the small guy wearing the 48" pants at the meet. hahahah

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i do have everything, but if we need any wrenches larger than 18mm we might have to ask roger to bring some. the mechanic down the street says if i need to borrow anything to drive down the block and borrow it.

not too sure if will can make it seeing how his buddy in his car club passed away.

like i said homer if you end up doing most of the work ill front some dough

1 - 20 of 258 Posts