TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K this is the deal. Getting ready to do a engine And Trans swap. Have a few questions and figure a forum is a great place to start. I Have a Complete 4.6 and 4r70w from a stole rec. i bought for $450. Car was stolen of new car lot. Picked it up when i was a tech. at a ford dealer. It was trully a great deal. The trans I know about the soliniod resistance so thats not my question. What problems will I have if I use the stock Fuel pump and no chip. I have headers but wont the increased airflow cause a rough idle. What type of tuning software or chip would be appl. I hear about some lonnie guy but I read it so much that I think its a deal with this forum to sell his product. Im looking for HPtuner type software not some chip somebody else says will work that i need to pay for reburns... babbies are calling cant type no more. any help greatly appreaciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lonnie has a site www.blueovalchips.com where you can buy chips xcalibrators, and other items aswell. For t-birds/cougars/mark's he is the go to guy for EEC tuning. A bunch of guys are running because of his programing. I myself will be one of them here fairly soon.

We may have the same drivelines/engines as mustangs/cobras, but we dont have the options for tuning that they do....thankfully the few we have are awesome.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
whats the year of the car its out of?? You might want to do some searching through the forums to find everything you need specially since you have a 95 you need to get some extra parts to get up to 96-97 specs

-Matt-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The donor car is a 01 mustang gt conv. it was a stolen recovery of the dealer new car lot. This motor/trans has less than 50 miles, never owned. I have every thing figured out like fuel rail trans compatability ect. the only reson i posted this trhead is because I am concerned that the added air flow from the fropm the new power plant will throw the EEC to or past its limits and give me a check engine light., and a rough idle. Everyone already has a chip and high flow fuel pump to correct this . Maybe its because I dont have daddys money or because Im a average class citizen I dont really have the capital to invest in these right away. Im not doing this because I want to run at the track. My wife and I really love our bird. 209,000 miles and 11 years, it needs makeover. I want to know if its possable to drive without the chip or fuel pump. I have to adapt the 01 fuel rail and make it return type. Can the added pressure from the adj. regulater, pushing through the '01' inj. be enough to bump it back into its thresholds. I'm going to spend alot of money already on the susp. geting it back up to par. I was hoping someone would know of a situation that they did a PI head swap with out the chip and stock fuel pump if they had any problems and what they were. Also, Its not that big of a deal yet cause iI havent gotten into it yet, but the EGR tube is on the other bank than the 01 gt. other than cut and extend is there a way that i can easly connect this. What about bypassing the DPFE. I know it can be doone and the EVTM/workshop gives me some good ideas but has anyone else tried this.
And one last note, All these people I see spending $3000 on bagging their cars( to me its plain stupid) they need to go to the Parker Store. If their going to kill their car they should at least save some money and cut their own brackets.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I by no means have a lot (or really any) expendable income. I have to make a chip fit into my budget since it is the only way aside from using all the wiring/computer from the car the engine came from. I am alost positive though you will need a chip for the PI engine to work. The headers would not require a chip, but to get the car to run does. I may be wrong but I dont think I am. Just my $0.02

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Check out some of the explorer swap threads by me and Palm guy from a couple of years ago to cover the DPFE, EVTM questions...it will cover all you need to know. In short you don't need to make any computer, pump, injector, pressure regulator changes at all. Your computer and existing pump and injectors can handle everything just fine. The MAF measures the increased flow and the computer will do the rest. Both Palm guy and I drove our PI motors on stock bisd computer and sensors for over a year.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Here's a good thread for ya. It's got a list of parts to change and which ones to keep using. It also has timb's wiring in it, so it should answer all you questions.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78991&highlight=my+list

Read the whole thing as there is some discussion on intake issues.

Hope that helps,
Rob

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I wouldn't use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator because that isn't the right way to do it at all. Use stock return style fuel rails from a 96-98 vehicle and adapt to them. Also, the computer on the car can completely keep up with a stock PI engine. So can the fuel pump. We have a lot of guys that have done PI swaps and are running on the stock computer and fuel pump. A tune would net you more and a better fuel pump sure wouldn't hurt, but the stock computer and pump will be fine since you don't plan on making a race car out of it.
How about we not go bashing people and their opinions on what they like to do to their cars, ok? You do what you want with your car and let them do what they want. What exactly does anything about bagging a car have to do with 4.6 tech?
Be nice, look around and do a lot of reading. All of the information about your questions is in multiple places around this site. There is a lot of good information to be found. Ask questions as much as you like. There are a lot of helpful people here with a lot of knowledge.
But pay attention to me here and do yourself a big favor, don't go making comments that someone may take offense to that have no reason being in a technical forum. It isn't acceptable to be expressing your opinion on people's sources of money to mod their cars, saying that you think there is a "deal" with Lonnie because so many people like him or being critical of what people may or may not want to do to their suspension. This is a tech forum. Can we please keep it to that?
Thank you
Darrin

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
the stock hardware can handle that engine. If you go to blueovalchips.com you'll see that a chip is like $325, and that for $400 you can get the XCal 2. If you don't want to keep sending a chip back for reburns and stuff, then get the xcal2 as this device uses tunefiles that can be emailed to you from any SCT dealer (like Lonnie) and you can adjust some parameters either on the device or on your PC/laptop with Extreme Tune. Comes with 2 custom tunes, stores your stock tune in case you need to go back for any reason. Also enables you to take control of that trans, adjust line pressure and shift points/converter lockup.

Just out of curiosity, do they always part out theft recoveries, or was it wrecked?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
What's a "Parker Store"?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
sixstringmartin6 said:
And one last note, All these people I see spending $3000 on bagging their cars( to me its plain stupid) they need to go to the Parker Store. If their going to kill their car they should at least save some money and cut their own brackets.

Nice comment from a newbie who has obviously no clue what it takes to bag a vehicle. My car has been bagged for the previous three years and has had no problems. You don't know what you're talking about, bashing people's cars for what they do to them when you only have two posts on the entire forum is a dumb thing to do. So you need to go sit in a corner and chill out for a while, before you get banned on the forums for saying stupid stuff. :mad:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Jesus this thread went south quick :) Ya i agree if you want help from us you might now want to bad mouth people that have done certain things to there cars it wont get you far around here oh ya welcome to TCCOA.com :)

-Matt-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I should probally take a moment and explain my unrelated opinion that the moderator so skillfully replied to. I had just finished a conversation w/ an individual about the difference in automotive mod schools of thought. I told him that he could take his 1000HP 4cyl, put it in an SUV and watch it expolde. Thing is he is much more crafted in the art of debate than I am. So I was venting. I agree that it was inapproate. I posted this thread because of a real concern I have. The generous responces I have recieved in the first couple hours have far exceeded any expectation that had of this forum. Other readers imput and experence's can save me lot of time and money. And for that I should be grateful and not throw out general attacks of different styles of modification. I am sorry if anyone was offended. This is a 4.6 thread. as of the last post. Parker Store I believe is nation wide. One of the advantages of living outside of detroit is any thing you want is within a 30min ride. From the Timken factory & NOS warehouses to The Parker store. Parker carries everything that you can imagine hyd. or pnuematic related. The location near my house was in Clinton Township Mi at 14 mile rd. & Grosebeck. Like I said I do believe they have a web site and even a racing team. This is actually a link worth posting on the main web page. Also since Im on the subject. (and i could of called them,I know) Anyone into old and new Ford in this area knows Big John at Total Performance. Again in clinton Twp. only at Groesbeck and North Ave. The guys store if full of blown Cammers and SVT ( or what ever thay are now) prototypes. I think that if you call the tech. hotline in the Ford Racing catalog it transfers right there. Any questions that anyone has from FE to Modular would no doubt like to tap this resourse. As a Matter of fact I think I might call them Mon. Again I appoligize for my off hand remarks, and thank the readers comments. As far as the donor mustang goes. Its actually a great story. In 02 someone stole a new GT Conv. off the new car lot at a dealer I was working at. They took it to Detroit and stripped the body/interior and left the drive train. I highly doubt that they were hotroding a bright yellow stang down 3 miles to the city. Then they rolled it in to an alley and set it ablaze. There was nothing to burn but paint so it went out real fast. They towed it to the dealer and the owner ate the cost. It sat out back with the alum. shining in the sun for over a year, then I asked the owner if I could buy it for my Bird. He said sure just match the junkyards price. and $450 latter I had a powertrain. Sold the shell and made my $ back. He wasnt to happy when the junkyards called him back and offered a lot more money, they were just lowballing him. :). For what I can get a used 97 rail for. (and for a year i was looking) I can rebuild (cause the hose bubbled a little from the heat) the '01' rail and tee it to a adj. regulator. Cant use the 95 cause it wont fit under the Mustang T.B. Also, Does yone have the best suggestion for plumbing the intake whats the best brand that I can peice one together. Im no doubt going to go with a K/N type cold air but would rather build the plentum. I have the Stang plentum, I havent really looked at it cause its just plumbing and I dont even have the motor in yet. Thanx again.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Hey, nice way to come back to that. Thank you.
That was a great deal that you got by the way.
You are going to have to do some wiring adaption to make the tranny work in the 95. The harness in the 95 has a different pinout than the tranny that you have to put in it and it isn't just a matter of a different resistance on the TCC solenoid. The harness on the car has to be repinned to work with that tranny.
I don't like adjustable FPR's if you don't need them because I have been around a lot of tuning. They are just disagreeable. Thats my opinion.
I can't help you with it but there is a ton of info to be found around here on intake setups with pictures and everything. Our search feature works pretty good but you need to whittle down the search terms to what you are really looking for or else you will get a thousand returns. I am sure that someone will show up soon enough with an idea or 2 though anyway
Thanks again
Darrin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're exactly right on the trans. that took me a lot of time in shop manuals to figure that out. Again the benifit to a fourm. Thanx.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK I found a rail. Looked for a long time but they were in high demand for a while. and the yards wanted $60 for one. but now I found a new one for $20. that saved me some money and a headache. Ive had this motor for three years and am now just getting ready to do the swap. Every couple of months or so I would do a search. I guess I just looked at the right time.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
you have an 01 PI motor? from a stang, is that iron?

unless you plan on using all the front accessories, might want to look into getting a 96-98 4.6 front cover

if it was an exploder block (aluminum) you can reuse the birdie cover

1 - 20 of 27 Posts