TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be removing the PI engine and trans from my 94 to put in my 96. I am considering installing a 5* advance crank sprocket from someone on this board, I think it was nickmckinney or something along those lines. I am considering getting this and the 0* cam sprockets and just running my stock cams since I would rather buy 05+ mustang seats and new carpet than buy aftermarket cams. What kind of gains would someone expect from that setup? I am also considering pulling the heads and cleaning up any carbon I find along with pulling the valves, doing some light porting (more along the lines of "smoothing") to the bowl area and then getting a valve job done.

I have never messed with PI heads internally, but I know the NPIs have a step just above the exhaust valve seat that can be ground out. If I could do just this on the intake and exhaust valves on the PI engine, would this do anything for performance at all? I have decided portmatching is not worth the time and the PI ports have enough volume for me. Obviously I dont want to do anything too drastic, but I am very seriously tossing around the idea of the sprockets since I dont have a degree wheel and they have already done the legwork. What do you think of these ideas? I mean now is the time to do it while the engine is out and it would probably only take 2-3 days.

Also I dont think I want to spend the $$ on a nice converter even though it would give me more pull. I already have a GT/Marauder converter and it seems ok. Are there any affordable options for a 3000+ stall converter? I think the GT on stalls at around 2200-2400 on my car. Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but I usually just fix cars, not always hop them up. Not mention the people around here are in the know about new things I may have missed. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This car is also getting a freshly rebuilt 3.73TL.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the advancing of the cams will pick up mostly the low-midrange area...so don't think that your car will be significantly faster at the race track with that mod (although it could pick up just a tad).....because once it shifts out of 1st into 2nd and 3rd gear, the engine is gonna stay in the upper RPMs, far from where the gains will be on the powerband....it all depends on how much gain there is in the 4000 RPM area, since that is around where the RPMs land once it shifts into 2nd and 3rd gear

unless you can measure the increase in airflow (if any), you'll only be convincing yourself that your work will be worth hp gains

cheap + quality 3000+ stall converter = non-existent (unless you score a good one second-hand)...you get what you pay for

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know, I dont want to spend all my $$ and not be able to clean this ugly thing up a little bit, lol. Does the stall converter affect gas mileage and driveability? Master486, you have piqued my interest. What do you have? I was going to spend $$ to buy a head install kit(frpp) and 3 angle valve job and getting the heads milled if necessary. This could very easily eclipse $300. If the price is close enough I might be interested in what you have. I have always wanted to try a real stall converter. You know I am down with using a used converter as long as it isnt broken!

I cant find the info on how much the cam and crank sprockets are, but I will search later. I had no idea of the effects, but it definitely wouldnt be a step in the wrong direction would it? I have felt sort of a flat spot around 2200 when WOT ever since I installed the PI engine. Are the cam sprockets not worth my time for a stock engine? I have never been in this engine besides oilpan and timing cover swaps.

Thanks for all the quick replies! master486, you have a PM.

·
5,650 Posts
The cam and sprockets aren't offered anymore as Nick found out it isn't good enough to ensure accurate installation. The cams themselves have too much variance. He does offer a service though where you can send him the cams and have some gears matched up to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts