TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I find a set of pi heads to put on my 97, is it more than likely that due to their age now, they will need to be gone over by a machine shop before being used? At that point would it be better to just find rebuilt ones somewhere? Looking at MHS site, they are pretty pricey.
Also, PI coolant tubes, are they still available from ford? I found one on ebay but they wouldnt ship to Canada.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,928 Posts
The 4.6 heads rarely crack or warp. If they were pulled from a running engine, they are likely fine. If they have been sitting a while, it might be worth pulling the valves and springs to check everything out, and replacing the valve seals, but other than that, and just checking them with a straight edge, they should be fine to bolt on and go.

Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
Age doesn’t matter, the main thing to look out for is cam bore wear and that the cams spin freely. There’s not much else to physically wear out except for the seals, valve guides and the seats but we’re talking 300k+ miles before they’re a problem,and the seals aren’t too difficult to change yourself with a spring compressor tool. The castings themselves are extremely good, they rarely warp or crack, in fact when Nick was around at MHS I believe he actually said he preferred cores from taxis since they tended to be vigorously maintained and since he was porting them new guides and valve jobs were done on them anyway.

Since you have a 97 you could just swap in PI cams and intake, and take away the unknowns of used heads and the huge effort of swapping them in-car. All the power you’ll net from PI heads in addition is the compression bump, not airflow gains.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already ordered the valve spring compressor, as my seals are gone, which is the reason I wanted to upgrade. I will buy the cams and coolant tube from somebody on here and go that route.
Most of you guys have been around here forever.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading a few threads I am still going to put pi heads on it and not just pi cams. I will pull it to regasket the engine and change the torque converter and flex plate while it is out to go with the 3:73's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom lasoda is the name that seems to be mentioned most. Do you have any different recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
7,928 Posts
Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for that.
I was in my car at the time and that is what I thought I remembered.
I was originally going to just do my valve seals and put 373's in, and a little research showed me that I have to get in a little bit further than just those two items.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,195 Posts
Nope, if you hadn't settled on one Don was who I'd have recommended anyway. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts