TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Now that I am done watching the Blair Witch Thunderbird Project what all did you swap out. Cams, heads, intake? All it really sounds like is that something isn't sealed correctly. I could be wrong. If all you did was the intake then I would try pulling it off and trying again. However we need to know what was in your PI swap.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
he did intake and cams

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
It's hard to tell but it didn't look like there was anything plugged into the vacum port in the back of the plenum. I also got a question. What is up with the Vacume line T behind the plenum? Is there something that i don't know about the pi intake swap or is that just screwy? Mines got one now (for the brakes) because of the after market plenum, but it didn't stock. Is there something that i don't know about the pi intake swap or is that just screwy?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was a factory vacum tree that broke durning the cold winter so that was put in to replace so I could have my brakes back....

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the intake, the plenum, and the egr valve to see if it idles up?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was a full pi swap that includes the PI "heads" as well as the cams that come along with them...

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Are you sure its leaking around the intake manifold? It almost sounds like it may be an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold(s). An easy way to check for that is to get one of those long grill lighters and hold it up to each exhaust port. If the flame blows out, theres your leak. If thats not it, I dunno what to suggest. Can you drive it at all? Does it seem low on power or have a rough idle?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
idle is rough... power i really cant tell since i dont wanna drive it any further then i have to

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
The idle sounded kinda choppy, are you sure all eight cylinders are firing? Start the car and put the palm of your hand on the end of each exhaust pipe. If you feel any suction, then you have one or more dead cylinders. Make sure all your injectors and plug wires are plugged in and that the wires are in their proper order. I dunno if the car would make that much noise if its a dead cylinder, worth a try.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Were they new or used heads? If they were used did you have them checked out before you insalled them?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told they were fine.. They still have another month or so on warentee

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Did the heads come pre assembled? Sure those cams are installed right? I hear the vacumn leak, but that lopping and then the air burst when you shut it down..... hrm....as far as the vacumn leak, you can't hear where it is coming from? If you installed the cams, sure you got the cams on the approriate sides? How's that timing?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its going in on monday... They were preassembled minus the sprokets.. I had to install those.. We did take one cam off so that we could clean it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
assuming your not tripping a engine lite , Im thinking it could be plugs or wires. If you are maybe your cam position sensor is giving you a problem but it would trip a engine light.

·
Registered
926 Posts
no check engine light?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
It's a vacuum leak... it's probly big too. A small leak would whistle, a big leak would make that kind of noise. Check behind the engine, wiggle some hoses. If not take it to ford and have them diagnose it with their vacuum machine.. they will shoot die through it, and it will come out of where it leaks... =) It really doesnt sound like it's coming from the intake.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
anybody else think it might be from the egr tube.............i does sound huge?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts