TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Deal: I yanked my 02 explorer motor from my '97 cat and dropped it in my buddies 97 f150. I figured a 4.6 is a 4.6 all the sensors, accessories, everything lined right up. I ended up having to use my intake manifold, plenum, throttle body, didn't cut any wires. retained his mass air sensor. that's about it.
The Problem: well long story short it doesn't run right at all. it ran great for about 10mins of idle in the driveway and 3mins of driving. I thought it was a miss but doing my normal miss test of pulling one plug wire off at a time and waiting for the engine not to stumble and every plug made the engine stumble. all plugs firing.. i put my 12in extension to my ear and every injector was clicking. i do not have a fuel pressure gauge so i couldn't tell you the fuel pressure. no vacuum leaks and the kicker. I unplug the mass air meter and the engine doesn't change the way it runs. but I'm baffled at the fact that the MAF would be fine on his old motor and 13mins on the 02' and just go out. all i know his old motor quote "ran just fine until it threw a rod" so that's all i have to go on there. . and on truck intake manifold there is some type of runner control valve. obviously i couldn't use it on my intake so i did what a tip said on the f150 sites. and left it plugged in just out of the way. .. so i thought i'd throw this out here and see if you guys could have any thoughts. it hasn't thrown any codes yet since the battery was disco'd during and the swap.oh the TPS and AIC i are from my car. I figured they had the same part numbers on them so they should be exactly the same no tune issues there. and the intake tube runs out from the passenger side to the front of the motor accross to the driverside to the mass air meter and air filter. surely 4ft of intake tube after the MAF wouldn't affect it.

man i'd kill to have one of those palm pilot's with the program on it that plugs into the diagnostic port to pull up every sensor and see what voltages they're putting out.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
even if the TPS is the same, you need to calibrate it by making sure it shows 0.97-0.99 VDC at closed throttle with the ignition on/engine off

are the ECT sensors identical? ECT is a vital part of the EEC's strategy

perhaps there is someone close to you with an Xcal2 you can borrow, since any Xcal2 can be used to datalog any OBD-II ford vehicle using SCT's LiveLink datalogging software

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure the ect sensors are the same they were the same colors. if that means anything. lol. i don't know anyone that has an xcal or anytype of datalogger. and if the tps was reading the correct voltage in my car wouldn't it have the exact same voltage output in his truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts