TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I want find out if anyone has a quarter mile time for a stock PI 4.6 in a t-bird. I'm going to a track rental soon and I have to set up some grudge racing, and I'm thinking 14.5-14.9, but my friend said the car feels much stronger than high 14s. This is a stock PI motor with stock transmission and 3.08 gears

·
Super Moderator
12,395 Posts
With a stock transmission and 3.08's you'll be lucky to see high 14's on a downhill track with a tailwind.

I'd say you'll do low to mid 15's. Do you have any other mods like a Program or Exhaust? Or even a Jmod? What tires are you planning on running?

With my stock motor, a Maurader TC (2,800 stall), 3.73's and a borrowed MAF and program the best I could muster was a 14.7 on street tires.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a stock transmission and 3.08's you'll be lucky to see high 14's on a downhill track with a tailwind.

I'd say you'll do low to mid 15's. Do you have any other mods like a Program or Exhaust? What tires are you planning on running?

With my stock motor, a Maurader TC (2,800 stall), 3.73's and a borrowed MAF and program the best I could muster was a 14.7 on street tires.
stock exhaust, street tires, by then i should have a tune, and it has a cai. bone stock NPI i ran a 15.8, and after i did the PI intake, it was alot faster. now that i have the engine swap, im wondering what itll do

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
15.40 unless u got minesfaft air

my buddies same setupbut a mark 8 tc ran 15.0 in very good air

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my 0-60 time's also down to 6.4 seconds from 7.9. would this help estimate any different?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My car runs a 14.1 on a stock converter leaving off idle. But I have a full bolt on PI engine, 11:1 compression, 4.10's, and tuned.

I honestly don't think you will see high 14's either. But hey, if you do then great.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, its still stock, some n2o and it runs 12.40's
oh wow, thats really good. how come some are different and people are sayin i wont make it outa the 15's? my friend had his car and it ran low to mid 14s and he said its as fast as that was. and i raced my friends stock tbird, same year as mine and smoked him

·
Super Moderator
12,395 Posts
i went 14.2o's with a 99 pi engine and a 2500 converter and 3.27's
oh wow, thats really good. how come some are different and people are sayin i wont make it outa the 15's? my friend had his car and it ran low to mid 14s and he said its as fast as that was. and i raced my friends stock tbird, same year as mine and smoked him.
You won't make it out of the 15's because - and this list is by no means all inclusive - you don't have a 2,500 or higher converter, you don't have 3.27 or higher gears, you don't have a Jmod, and you don't have any exhaust mods.

You will smoke a same year stock Tbird because you have a PI engine and your friend doesn't. That's no surprise and doesn't mean that you have a 14.x car.

Trying to estimate your performance based on other peoples results is really just a guessing game. Take it to the track and then come back and let us know how you did.
Video and time-slips are always appreciated around here. ;)

Hey, if you break a 14.9 or better I'll be happy for you. I just don't think it'll happen.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,432 Posts
Slightly off but slightly on topic.

I'm planning on a Mark VIII or Marauder converter upgrade either this year or next (depends on the budget/free time). A new exhaust is also on my mind but probably won't happen this year. Would you say those combined with my current mods would theoretically put me into the 14s? In my time lurking the things I've read seem to suggest it would be close but the estimates I've found always seem to be based off a slightly different setup than mine. I'm not all that interested in making a pass (at least not until I get my transmission rebuilt/replaced - I'd rather keep it living as long as possible), but I have this underlying curiosity to know about where I'd be placed for comparison sake.

Trunk Monkey - again, slightly off topic but how much of a handling improvement did you notice when you went from the Indy 500s to your current tires on the wider rims? I've still got my 500s on the car until I can afford two more tires for the new wheels.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Hey, if you break a 14.9 or better I'll be happy for you. I just don't think it'll happen.
i went 14.9 with a tune and good air, on a npi engine. stock converter, and stock 3.27's

·
Super Moderator
12,395 Posts
Slightly off but slightly on topic.

I'm planning on a Mark VIII or Marauder converter upgrade either this year or next (depends on the budget/free time). A new exhaust is also on my mind but probably won't happen this year. Would you say those combined with my current mods would theoretically put me into the 14s?

In my time lurking the things I've read seem to suggest it would be close but the estimates I've found always seem to be based off a slightly different setup than mine. I'm not all that interested in making a pass (at least not until I get my transmission rebuilt/replaced - I'd rather keep it living as long as possible), but I have this underlying curiosity to know about where I'd be placed for comparison sake.

Trunk Monkey - again, slightly off topic but how much of a handling improvement did you notice when you went from the Indy 500s to your current tires on the wider rims? I've still got my 500s on the car until I can afford two more tires for the new wheels.
  • A Mark VIII or Marauder converter is a must. On a mildly built N/A engine I wouldn't go any higher than 2,800 stall.
  • Exhaust will help but not as much as other upgrades save it for later in your build, go with the next two items first.
  • You need gear - 3.73 at a minimum and 4.10's would be worth considering.
  • You need a posi-lock to keep the one wheel wonder from spinning at the line.
  • A tune and a better MAF than the stock one.
  • The Jmod will help firm your shifts up - a big help when you're trying to get down the track quickly and a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

Handling and traction improved tremendously with the Sumo's on 9" rims. Ride comfort also suffered proportionally. It's a trade off. :D But worth it IMO. They worked fine with my N/A set-up. But now that it's blown I'm looking for something much stickier.

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
Thanks for your insights, very helpful and welcome as always.

I'm definitely on the way to a TL rear end (which I'll probably do when I put in the Mark DS), but as far as gearing I'm still undecided. Like I said I'm not much into racing but I do like to be able to have a little fun every now and then. Fuel economy is always on my mind too.

As of now I've got a 93 tune by Lonnie as well as an 02 GT MAF with the J-Mod, PI intake and cams, 180 T-stat, K&N filter to go with the GT intake assembly, and a mid-sized tranny cooler. I don't think I'll be doing anything else to the engine in the near future.

The bigger tires were influenced mainly by the fact that I hate the traction control kicking in every time I hit the gas from a stop. The one time I turned it off I spun the ... tire... and it was very unexciting. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,432 Posts
They pop for sale on here every now and then, or you can try a local yard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what about the pro-king torque converters from advance auto parts? theyre remans, but for 130 bucks, it might be worth it to try

1 - 20 of 47 Posts