TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got some prices on all new PI valves and springs. How much should I expect to pay to get these installed in a npi head? I just called the machine shop and he told me that the head is part of the seat and if he ground the seat, there wouldnt be one anymore. Are PI valves that much larger than the stockers? Would I also need new valve seals? They gave me a price of $75+parts/head for a 3 angle valve job. I think this is a pretty good price, although I can't imagine what parts would be involved. I'm supposed to bring them the bare head to get that price which isnt a problem seeing as how the heads are sitting in the floor of my room. Would the NPI valve springs still be good? Thanks guys!
-Rob

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont do what? I asked quite a few questions in that last post. I don't see how the 3 angle valve job could be bad. As for the PI valves...I dont know. Could you tell me why I shouldnt do that? Thanks!
-Rob

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Rob said:
Dont do what? I asked quite a few questions in that last post. I don't see how the 3 angle valve job could be bad. As for the PI valves...I dont know. Could you tell me why I shouldnt do that? Thanks!
-Rob
Don't put PI valves in the NPI head.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Anyone want to entertain any of my other questions?
-Rob

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
So, this so called machine shop doesn't know how to change seats in an aluminum head?

Run away quickly.

Only the exhaust valve is larger, and yes you can flow more by going to that valve. However, since this skews the flow ratio of the 2 ports too much toward the exhaust, I would only do this for a forced induction application.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. I called about the 3 angle valve job first and then remembered that I wanted to ask about installing the PI valves. He told me that the seats would be gone if I went with bigger valves since they are built into the head. I personally think he was just trying to get rid of me because I just sound like some punk kid. If he only knew that my employer was one of his regular customers! How much does a quality 3 angle valve job usually run per head? One last stupid question....should I stick with the stock F5AE springs? I might consider some aftermarket ones if they will help me out and they dont cost too much. I don't think I'm going to be revving too high though. I wont even have a chip until late summer. Thank you so much for the explanation, I've been waiting all day! :D
-Rob

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Rob said:
Yeah. I called about the 3 angle valve job first and then remembered that I wanted to ask about installing the PI valves. He told me that the seats would be gone if I went with bigger valves since they are built into the head. I personally think he was just trying to get rid of me because I just sound like some punk kid. If he only knew that my employer was one of his regular customers! How much does a quality 3 angle valve job usually run per head? One last stupid question....should I stick with the stock F5AE springs? I might consider some aftermarket ones if they will help me out and they dont cost too much. I don't think I'm going to be revving too high though. I wont even have a chip until late summer. Thank you so much for the explanation, I've been waiting all day! :D
-Rob
i am going to base the prices about what i am paying ,
the valve job will cost about $260
springs if u get PI cams or better they recomended to me to get the
mod max spring kit and it runs about $265
but u can use the f5ae springs
and the guy maybe told you that the seats will be gone caz maybe he though it was a much bigger valve or who knows what he was thinking but if u look at a PI exhuats valve and NPI theres not a huge difference
but big enough to make a difference if ur supercharged.

Jurgen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts